1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah. I was born in 1956. Much of your description of the 60's and early 70's was on the mark. Your conclusions, those I might dispute a bit.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No way on earth I'm listening to two hours of that tripe. Thanks for the summary.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Baby boomers were more than welcome to not produce the Trump administration to prove me wrong.

If it’s broad by way too much, at least take from it what the generation below you might be feeling right now.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Brooks' death is time-marked in the movie, but would have to check.
    One Million Years B.C. came out in 1966, so that would peg the bust-out at 1967 or 1968.
    Good stuff. A more interesting task than piecing together Trump's daily shit puzzle.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just to point out that according to almost every poll, it is seniors turning on Trump that is the main reason Biden leads.

Neutral Corner and Hermes like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A few things about Shawshank:

1. I guess Andy was walking/running upstream of the half-mile sewer pipe, otherwise ...

2. Why would he bring his rock hammer along on his escape?

3. Where and how did he get so cleaned up the next morning?

The last one bothers me the most.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ya think? Who else still has a land line?

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

....since Lincoln.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That Bragman tweet was just bad, and brought forth this response from someone who actually knows those kinds of places.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Trump really is that generation at its worst: vain, greedy, selfish, racist, simpleminded, myopic and absolutely in denial over the fact that their games are in the fourth quarter. I was thinking about this yesterday as well: Trump has spent Goddam near a half century marketing himself as this self-made success. Most of us have seen this to be bullshit forever, but a lot of people are wooed by marketing and advertising -- something the man really is exceptional at. As far back as the late 1960s, Cadillac was putting out shit vehicles, yet that "Standard of the World" reputation lived on for a good two decades until the reality was too much to ignore. There are still people out there who consider Cadillacs to be the ultimate, kind of like they still cling to that 1985 persona of Trump. Why? Perception sometimes takes forever to die, especially if you had or have effective marketing.

I think what I've gathered is that, the 60s Boomer-Counterculture "revolution" was really a minority of the generation. I'm starting to think that era has been romanticized to the point of exaggeration. You watch the documentaries and read the books and think everyone was on board with all of it, maaaaaaaaan. Not everyone was growing their hair long and protesting. In fact, most weren't. My mother is right smack in the middle of this generation -- born in 1950 and graduated high school in 1968. Know what she says when the CNN series "The Sixties" comes on and talks about Woodstock and the counterculture? "I don't remember any of this. None of this was going on where we grew up." A lot of the war protests were definitely for selfish and self-preservation interests: they didn't want to fight and they didn't like seeing their friends drafted and coming home in pine boxes. Not knocking it, just observing.

It's probably the equivalent defining the current generation by the Occupy-BLM movement. Sure, a lot of them were out in the streets, but most of them are at home watching people get hit in the balls in TikTok videos not giving a fuck.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.