1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It looks to me that most of the longstanding rules they're wanting to change are the ones that were ignored, trampled on, and insufficient to restrain a ruling party that does not care about what's customary or the unwritten rules - or the law, in many cases.

The R's have been court packing for Trump's entire turn, including the 100+ judge slots that Obama nominated and McConnell sat on until a Republican was elected. Things like having to make it a law that the President has to release his taxes and put his private business interests into a blind trust because they were taken for granted until Trump refused and blatantly lined his pockets using government funds. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be rolled back or codified in law to prevent the next would-be authoritarian despot from doing the same thing, only smoothly and efficiently instead of as a chaos agent.

2. Neutral Corner

Click my link just below that post. It may not be super-duper, but it's a massive, powerful missile, fully capable of targeting multiple targets in the U.S.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There's ample, ample precedent for adding states, starting in 1791 when Vermont joined the Union. Why shouldn't DC be considered for statehood? What makes Puerto Rico different than Hawaii?

And absolutely nowhere have I read or heard that Biden plans to expand the Supreme Court. Conjecture from the party's left wing does not make it Democratic party policy. As far as some form of the GND, if there are the votes in the House and Senate to get it passed - in a much watered-down form is the only possibility as this point - isn't that how government is supposed to work?

And to say the GOP doesn't want to turn the US into a one-party government is patently ridiculous. Its systematic gerrymandering in state government and unprecedented voter suppression is ample truth of that.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a Biden Administration will have enough on its plate cleaning up the last four years, re-staffing essential agencies (like State) and the EPA, rebuilding relationships with our allies and dealing with COVID-19 and the economy. I do hope they can strike a deal for a long-term solution to immigration (esp the DACA situation) and a 50-state Voting Rights Act. Rejoin the Paris Accords, figure out a way to withdraw from the Middle East and Afghanistan (or at least settle on what our permanent presence will be, also hoping for a sunset date on the 9/11 Military Authorization, 20 years is long enough - if you want to reauthorize it, fine - put your name on it) and stablize health care. Throw that in with restoring public confidence in our institutions - law enforcement, the criminal justice system, the DOJ, science...That's a full four years.

Platforms usually are ignored by candidates. Getting a desired "plank" on a platform is kind of like the "lovely parting gifts" given away on game shows. Though I do think as issues arise, a Biden administration would look at new ways of doing things. More nuclear naval vessels, more electric cars in the federal fleet, more solar and wind. They just won't re-invest in fossil fuels.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Statehood for Puerto Rico was in the GOP's 1948 platform.

Republican Party Platform of 1948 | The American Presidency Project

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a good point. I know in our house, if we don't recognize a phone number, and/or you don't leave a voicemail message, seriously, good luck with ever hearing from us.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Sanford is where the great Tim Raines grew up.
    Of course it has race problems, always has.

Jake from State Farm and maumann like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. Neutral Corner

We dumped the land line that came with our internet package because no one we wanted to talk to ever called it. Political spam calls, people selling extended car warranties, credit card offers, wrong numbers, various BS. Screw it, if they don't have my cell I don't need to talk to them. I get enough of that crap on my cell without having a dedicated spam line.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not much. We took it by force and (surprise!) went back on our word and "ignored the new, democratically-elected local parliament of Puerto Rico in favor of creating its own colonial system."

https://www.history.com/news/puerto-ricos-complicated-history-with-the-united-states

The DIFFERENCE is that Dixiecrats at the time insisted that Alaska be a state to "balance" Hawaii. And even then, it took until the 1958 midterm elections for any movement on the issue.

DC is no "balance" to Puerto Rico. It's doubling down, in fact.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

People who are afraid of 'The Squad' - no one is talking about these people except for you.

They will not be given plum assignments.

Think of them as a troika of Jordan/Nunes/Stefanek with better intentions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.