1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Wasn't he the one complaining about not getting his fucking haircut?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Not defending all of BTE's posts, just this one

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There are plenty of such churches. Any long time southerner can easily name a number of them. Not among Catholics, mostly due to unfamiliarity, but among the Southern Baptist and other charismatic or evangelical sects here.

Off the top of my head, zero Google involved, Snake handlers, Holy Rollers, Foot-washing Baptists, Faith Healing, Casting out Demons. Pentecostals who believe that speaking in tongues is a sign of the Holy Spirit. I had a couple of female patients who were Pentecostals who never cut their hair and wore dresses to the ankle daily. This isn't sniping at other's beliefs, just pointing out a few who are considered outliers by more traditional groups.

There are a couple of old Robert Heinlein quotes concerning religion - "One man's religion is another man's belly laugh" and one about getting along/staying safe when dealing with it "Whenever the locals rub blue mud in their navels, I rub blue mud in mine just as solemnly."

I grew up as a cradle Episcopalian. Went to Episcopal parochial school from K4 to third grade. I loved the rhythm and the language of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, full of Thees and Thous and "it is meet and right so to do." When I was fifteen or so my mother decided that the Episcopal Church didn't teach enough Bible and she started us moving around, trying other churches. One Sunday I found myself in a a full bore Charismatic church as a lady testified about the day "The Lord reached down and touched me as I stood there by the washing machine and I WAS SAVED THEN AND THERE, ON THE SPOT" to a chorus of "Amen!", "Hallelulia!" and hands waved in the air. I was used to a certain decorum at church, a solemn dignity, ritual. I knew that this stuff existed, but it was a very foreign sort of service to me.

Yeah, mom had trouble getting me to go with her visiting churches for a while after that one.

Here's a guy who made a whole buttload of money healing the sick as a TV evangelist. He's an outlier too, even among many of those groups, but he rode that for forty years or better.

OscarMadison and HC like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I hope the Russians were using open (source) Windows.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if the NYT and other major media want Trump to win again. He's good for their bottom line.

4 more years of him will bring in a lot of money.

lakefront likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Amy is making Amy defensive

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. Pretty much EVERYBODY in April made a "gee, I need a haircut" remark. I even called mine a "fucking haircut" in satirical homage to Bubbler.
    2. Haircuts (and Applebee's) soon became the favored targets of the virtue signalers, even after the former proved perfectly safe under all the necessary precautions.
    3. Once people started saying haircuts caused their grandmothers to die, the gloves (sterile, of course) came off.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You honor me, friend, by excavating a post from April 2020.

I remember a lot of things in my life in stark detail but that month is a blank.

As you were.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't blame me. Blame the (working) search function. :)

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

216000 dead

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.