1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is what you need to know about South Carolina.

When I worked there back in the day, the editor of my paper moderated a debate.

The Democrat answered questions, discussed what would be done in office and made plenty of sense.

The Republican, Jim DeMint, did nothing but wave pom-pons and declare the greatness of W.

DeMint, despite sounding like an automaton, won in a landslide.

I hope Harrison can put Graham out to pasture. But all the fundraising in the world won't turn South Carolina blue.

2. Sam Mills 51

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fantastic smokestacks. Tremendous smokestacks.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Beautiful, too.
    There is no excuse for defending Trump.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And those DeMint voters, what do they think of W. now? There was intense pre-MAGA support for him. Now...indifference or loathing. The same thing very well could happen with Trump.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fuck that. They have to see the downside of their decisions. Make it 4, no, six new judges, two each for the ones nominated by the criminal Trump and let 'em lump it. As one Mitch McConnell once said, "process is for losers." Fair play for one side but not the other is not fair play.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's a long time ago, Sam. And Congressman Joe Cunningham (D-S.C) appears to be cruising to re-election. Turning a state is a long process. Look at how the Republican gains in 2016 in like Michigan and Pennsylvania faded away in 2018. They're still better off in those places than before 2016. You see where your wave hit the highest on the shore and then try to better it. Takes decades, although Trump is speeding the process in both directions.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh ... and let's waive confirmation hearings. Confirm in 10 minutes by voice vote.

9. Sam Mills 51

I hope you're correct. And I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not the first bit convinced that the fundraising for Jaime Harrison means much of anything.

It IS fun watching Lindsay Graham openly grovel for funds on Fox News (well, the video snippets captured for viewing later ... watching that garbage live is NOT happening).

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

South Carolina led the South to oppose freeing slaves during the drafting of the Declaration of Independence.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

IIRC, he had grown disillusioned by the tone his campaign had taken, as evidenced by the encounter with the woman who said she was scared of Obama because he was "an Arab."

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not watching tonight. Won’t change my mind in the least (especially as I’ve already voted).

wicked, Mngwa, garrow and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.