1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing about the South is a lot of their "right to work" stuff has attracted a lot of businesses to the region - and a lot more new voters not born and bred on "states rahhhts"

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sad!

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

States rights don't square with the belief in expansive executive power.

These people don't understand what they claim to believe, half the time.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What I am about to say is not a criticism of you or of what you said. Nor is it me trying to be a dick to you, no matter what I say or how it comes off.

I understand wanting to exact a pound of flesh for all of the bullshit that Trump, McConnell and the Republicans have pulled over the last 10 years. Revenge feels great in the moment and McConnell has it coming in spades. But at some point when do we (the royal Democratic we) say we're not going to play by their rules or let them pull us into the vitriol of unmitigated bullshit they have tried to drag this country into? When do we (Democrats and the rest of the country) say if we're to truly make things better, we can't play games? There's a new wave of leaders and voters coming up. They see things differently and they want different things. Women's rights are going to happen whether a few old men like it or not. Queer rights are going to happen whether some religious zealots like it or not. Justice is coming whether the NeoNazis like it or not. Trump will have to face his reckoning and he will face it because he broke the law. His family will see it too. McConnell's children and grandchildren will read about how he took this country down a path of fascism. And they will have to live with that.

There was a time this country functioned. We didn't always get along, but we functioned. Clinton, the most reviled Democratic president with white skin, even found ways to work with conservatives and signed off on conservative ideas. W got our country back from the worst terrorist attack on our shores and managed to get our economy back from the Dot Com bust. Packing the court? Permanently altering the court so it can't be changed back? It needs to stop. We have to be better. If we're going to bring others along, we need to be better. The death of the Republican Party as we know it is coming. Texas is turning purple. The country's demographics are changing and they aren't favorable to Republicans. We're changing. Let's change with our heads held high. Let's put one of the worst chapters in our country's history behind us and let anyone who is kicking and screaming behind.

I'm scared about what the next steps are. I'm scared for the second presidential election in a row the polls with be wrong. I'm scared they will be right and the fascists will start a civil war. I'm scared what we face next. But I have to believe "we'll endure as we have endured." I believe we will be a better country after tomorrow. I teach the next generation coming up. They are as naive as we were. They have dreams like we had dreams. Not the same dream, but they dream. They don't all share the same vision of tomorrow, but they want what is best for tomorrow in their own way. They give me hope no matter what happens in this election. Because of them "I have been to the mountain top and I have seen the promised land. I may not get there with (them), but I know tonight (they) will as a people get to the promised land." And that is why I have hope even though I'm petrified and why we cannot go back.

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

That senile Sleepy Joe must have taken a pill or is wearing an ear piece. He’s sounding great out there.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Or, as one of the lessons in the book “leadership lessons from the civil war” - (which I can’t find so I’ll have to paraphrase) don’t fight the next battle with the same strategy/ideas as the last battle. The book was also big on “if it’s not working, change the rules”.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Are there 8 judges under 30 in the country?

People looking for a fight read things that aren't there. Tenfold when they see certain posters that set their radars on alert.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Your sentiments are admirable, even noble. But no democracy can function if one side uses tactics the other one won't on ethical grounds. The ethical side gets run over. Trump administration officials have committed numerous crimes, including crimes against humanity. For the sake of a country that is alleged to be founded on ideals, they must be put in the dock and punished if found guilty.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

083ECE46-C9B2-4325-89D5-E6756859609D.jpeg I for one look forward to our new Russian Over-Lords

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I"m with you, we can't just change the rules because we have the opportunity to do so now. You have to look at the long run and what that might mean later.

Packing the court is a momentary thing that's not going to change the long term and diminishes the SCOTUS. I believe we should live by the rules in place.

What is the biggest criticism we have with the McConnell led Senate right now?? That they are ramming legislation (and SCOTUS nominees) down our throats by the slimmest of margins. Well guess what? It was a D led Senate (by Reid) that eliminated the filibuster rule that procedurally allowed these things to happen now.

You don't change rules now just because you lost before. Same for talk about the electoral college. Now gerrymandering? Yeah that needs to be stuck up their a** ASAP.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm all for this, prosecute them to the full extent available. They are traitors and scum and should be treated accordingly.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Packing the courts is not changing the rules. It's already in the rules. It was written in the rules *for precisely this situation*.

The D-led senate eliminated the filibuster because McConnell was abusing it to grind the entire federal court system to a standstill to allow zero new appointed federal judges.

This is not a "both sides" issue. The unwritten rules are dead and one side unilaterally killed them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.