1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The people who said "why bother voting" just found out the hard way in 2016.

1. This is a referendum on Trump. Biden just has to stay out of the way, and he's doing an excellent job. This is really not about Russia, impeachment, Supreme Court packing, lying, fraud, etc. Joe and Jane Average are looking at what's happened to them over the past eight months (can't find work, can't pay mortgage, can't go out, can't make kids safe at school) and the past four years. The voters are angry and motivated. Trump will still get his 60 million but the people who sat out 2016 aren't this time. Early voting numbers are crazy, which is almost always a sign of change.

2. The Black vote has never been less important. Latinos make up 18 percent of the population compared to 13 percent who list as Black. And poor white trash aren't creating babies quickly enough to replace all the old white people dying off every day. I won't be around, but minorities (particularly Latinx) will hold the majority within 25 years.

3. The rural south will continue to lose influence as the cities grow faster with more diverse populations of younger voters. That's happening already in Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Austin, Greenville, Spartanburg and other tech-savvy areas. Rural Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida are barely hanging on to slim GOP advantages. Alabama and Mississippi are the outliers now.

4. The 2022 midterms may be just as ugly for the GOP given that clowns like DeSantis and Kemp (who basically won by vote manipulation), and a ton of Trump buttkissers will be explaining their way out of COVID. Unless there's a Tea Party 2.0 out there, their base is shrinking and will continue to do so.

5. Democrats STILL need to organize and offer qualified candidates at the grassroots levels to make more inroads. Too many Republicans are running unopposed in the south and midwest. Even if they lose, it'll force the GOP to spread campaign money even thinner to protect their dwindling base of support.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The importance of editing, part 1 million. Of all the words to drop, “million” is among the more problematic.

ABC's special with Democratic nominee Biden averaged 12.29 viewers over two hours, per Nielsen's fast national ratings (including a half-hour of analysis after the forum). On NBC, Trump's one-hour town hall drew 10.39 million viewers.

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh, just because the U.S. as a whole hates Graham, it doesn't mean it will ultimately matter to his constituents. When is Nancy Pelosi up for reelection? It wouldn't surprise me if her opposing R gets a shit-ton of money, regardless of their chances of winning.

maumann likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Putting aside the Yankee / colored boy thing, I heard this morning that something like $11 billion is going to be spend by candidates in all elections this November.

I don't get why people don't pay attention to this and say to themselves, "People don't spend that kind of money on something that isn't guaranteed to accrue a benefit unless they are hoping that if their person does win they are going to be paid back well beyond that $11 billion."

To me, it's the biggest indictment of what we have let elected office become in this country.

5. tapintoamerica

Ford’s pratfalls — at least the verbal ones — would be dismissed today.

6. tapintoamerica

See Gantt, Harvey.
    (Slightly) Different state, different era and nowhere near the same total, but there’s a long tradition of Dems smashing $$$ totals and losing to klansmen.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You can’t put a price on white supremacy

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Guess I'm not the only one "animated by violence". LOL

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Biden has run twice before for President and been gaffe prone. I think the basement campaign COVID forced him to run suits him well. He makes many fewer errors and does not give Trump material. Instead, he can let Trump be Trump.

I wonder if this will affect future campaigning. In 1896 William Jennings Bryant ran one of the first campaigns where he rode around on a train and gave lots of speeches and held lots of rallies. That has continued to the model through the jet age. A better model in the 21st century may be for a candidate to rent a studio somewhere and do remote events rather than constantly being on a plane.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Trial? We don't need no stinkin trial! Just send the FATUS storm troopers in for a summary execution

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Half of that would’ve been helpful in this whole mess from the past eight months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.