1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Some did, sure. Some voted for him because they could not stomach voting for Hillary, just as some will vote for Biden because they can't stomach Trump. It happens. Both campaigns were extremely polarizing.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Clinton's campaign wasn't polarizing. It probably wasn't polarizing enough. Plus, people didn't think Trump would win.

He did, and he ain't winning this time. The blue vote will get out.

3. Neutral Corner

I'd agree with this one. I personally didn't dislike her, but I knew many who did, some virulently.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why did Hunter, who lives in Los Angeles, go to a computer repair shop in Delaware to get his laptop fixed?

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Hopefully millions will vote for Biden. Because Trump. It's pretty simple to me.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I thought then and I continue to think that there are millions of women across the country that went into the poll intending to vote for Hillary Clinton. They might have may not have liked her, but they were ready. But their husbands or their fathers or perhaps even their brothers were right there in the booth with them, in the back of their brain, denigrating women and pushing males superiority values. And I think a lot of those women in the end were unable to push the button for Clinton. I will never not think that.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think one thing we're missing here is that, for better or for worse, Hillary Clinton had been thoroughly tarred and feathered by right-wing media for 20 years. A lot of that was BS, but enough of that stuck that she was clearly defined from the get-go, and the only coherent message the Democrats could come up with was basically that it was Hillary's turn, and after the Access Hollywood tape, they thought they could dribble out the clock.

Possibly because he is not a woman or was he married to the president for eight years, those similar attacks have not been anywhere near as effective against Biden. I'm not going to litigate poll stuff, but I, barring some sort of colossal quasi-legal ratfuck, I think if Dems play to the whistle, they'll be fine, if for no other reason than a significant portion of their vote is already locked in.

8. Neutral Corner

My mother in law, bless her sweet redneck heart, would not vote for Hillary, but it wasn't about any of the stuff we talked about above other than just now by Chip. "A woman don't need to be President." It was that stark.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, 54 percent of women voted for Clinton, compared to 39 percent for Cheeto Jesus. But if you break that down further, 63 percent of women under the age of 50 voted for her compared to 48 percent of women over the age of 50. It seems like women who grew up in a time when their perceived place was in the home (or many of those who were raised by such women) voted for the man. So, yeah, it seems likely there are a lot of sexist women, particularly of a certain age demographic, out there.

An examination of the 2016 electorate, based on validated voters

And, again, 3 million more voters thought Clinton was better for the job. They happened to live in the wrong voting districts. Of the candidates who won the popular vote but lost the electoral college (Jackson 1824, Tilden 1876, Cleveland 1888, Gore 2000 and Clinton 2016), Clinton had the third biggest spread of the popular vote (2.1 percent) and had by far the worst result in the Electoral College (-77). By contrast, Gore, who had a 0.5 percent edge in the popular vote, was -5 in the EC.

As it pertains to electing a black man to two terms, I think that actually could have also hurt Clinton in that voters who couldn't believe we did that certainly weren't going to stand by and risk eight years of a woman as President. That's why "Make America Great Again" struck such a chord with them.

When you factor in Cambridge Analytica and targeted Russian disinformation in key swing districts, it starts to look less like "she was a shitty candidate" and more like a whole range of factors contributed to her loss, none of which had anything to do with her likability or her qualifications for the job.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So is Rudy now "Former NYC mayor" the rest of the country wants no part of him and never elected him to squat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.