1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm trying so hard to not be overconfident but "man, Biden sure is a good dad" is just such a bizarre final push.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So much whining.

3. Neutral Corner

They took that picture between Trump storming off and her getting to her purse and mask, that's why.

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been posted already.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My old boss, who was a reasonable person, said out loud "THEY GOT HER" when the Comey report came out. Before getting into golf he worked on Wall Street and lived in New York. I'm just saying, there were a lot of reasonable white people in 2016 who were looking for any fucking excuse not to vote for her, no matter how toxic Trump was. She was fucking EVIL to a large part of the electorate. Blame Fox News. I have friends and family members I can't speak to right now because of fucking Fox News.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Tuesday was Kamala Harris’ 56th birthday. That means it’s 2020 and we have still never had a Gen X candidate on a major presidential ticket.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Clay Travis can get fucked in the ass with a hot poker, too. Fuck that fucking guy.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

bigpern23 said:
    I can't fathom anyone thinking the President is more "likable" than Clinton. I don't think likability was much of a factor at all in the 2016 election.

Was that her stance? Did she say that or indicate it in some interview that I missed?

I wasn't saying that Trump was more likable. He's always been an arrogant, self-important prick. I was saying that there were many people who didn't like her very much, whether they came to it on their own or because the Screech Machine fed them propaganda for years. There have been a dozen posts since this saying essentially the same thing. Just as many voters in this election don't like Trump and will vote against him and for Biden, Trump got some 2016 votes in the same way.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Supreme Court Blocks Curbside Voting In Alabama, An Option During Pandemic

"Dissenting from the high court's action were Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan.

Writing for the three, Sotomayor noted that John Merrill, the Alabama secretary of state, "does not meaningfully dispute that the plaintiffs have disabilities, that COVID-19 is disproportionately likely to be fatal to these plaintiffs, and that traditional-in-person voting will meaningfully increase their risk of exposure."

Moreover, said Sotomayor, in-person voting is considerably easier than voting by mail in Alabama. At the polls, voters with disabilities receive assistance from poll workers; they need no witnesses, notaries, or copies of their photo IDs, as Alabama law requires for absentee ballots, and they know their ballots will not arrive too late to be counted.

In addition, she noted, curbside voting has been recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during the pandemic, and the Justice Department has approved it as well as a way to prevent violations of the ADA.

Sotomayor concluded the dissenting opinion by pointing to one of the plaintiffs in the case, Howard Porter Jr, a black man in his 70s who suffers from Parkinson's disease and asthma. In challenging the ban on curbside voting, Porter told the district court: So "many of my [ancestors] even died to vote. And while I don't mind dying to vote, I think we're past that time."

Merrill, in a statement, called the court's decision a "ruling in favor of election integrity and security [and] ... a win for the people of Alabama."

John Merrill is reprehensible.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

if this happened literally anywhere else, everyone would have zero trouble identifying what was happening. But It Can’t Happen Here

Neutral Corner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.