1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The problem with these stories is this assumes turn out on election day will be the same. Covid has made these numbers apples to oranges. This only matters if we actually see a rise in turnout and then we can point to the surge in early vote. Until then all we know is 800,000 people voted so far.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Harris County in 2016 had 1,251,431 votes cast between Trump and Clinton.

They are 70 percent of the way there 10 days to go in early voting, to say nothing of what will happen on Election day

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Harold Stassen - who ran and lost 9 times - has to be the worst candidate for president.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Donald Trump is merely the worst person to run for, much less win, the office.

OscarMadison, lakefront and maumann like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The ghost of Richard Nixon approves of that post.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Early and mail voting would have increased this year no matter what because convenient things are popular ones. Obviously the pandemic accelerated this trend dramatically. But as I have said before, all the means pollsters use to measure public interest in an election are off the charts, and turnout for just about every election since 2016 has been up. I believe at a minimum 150 million votes will be cast by the time the last polls close in Hawaii Nov. 3.

maumann likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Turnout is going to be higher than it has been in a century.

People who don't typically vote don't suddenly vote when they are happy with where the country is.

Also, I can't find it in my inbox, but I had a research note from JP Morgan that said the number of undecided voters is nil. Just a historically low number. In 2016 at this point the number of undecided voters was way higher than had been typical.

What I take from that is that in 2016 people hated both candidates and couldn't really choose between what they saw as two odious choices. After the shitshow of the last four years, nobody is unengaged this time around. Either you are one of the fringe assholes who still supports the jerkoff, or you are one of the 55 to 65 percent of people who are horrified and are champing at the bit to vote against him.

OscarMadison, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

Number of eligible voters increases by an average of 5-8% every four years.

150 million votes would be an increase of just over 8% from 2016.

There was a 16% increase in votes cast in 2004 from 2000, twice the typical increase per presidential election cycle.

The incumbent won.

Turnout for JFK-Nixon was 62.8%. You would have to see about 165 million votes cast this November to equal that, assuming the number of eligible voters increases by 5% from 2016. Ain't happening.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.