1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

SCOTUS justices from Carter/Clinton/Obama administrations: 4
    SCOTUS justices from a POTUS who lost popular vote by millions: 3

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No “stealing” something is stealing it. Nothing has been stolen.

I think what McConnell did was wrong and hurtful. But it was not illegal or illegitimate. It was legitimate, sadly. That’s why it was able to be done.

warren is doing something dangerous using words that do not apply. It was not stolen. The seat did not belong to anyone. One branch nominates, another part of anther branch confirms, the Republicans controlled both, the end.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just as professional basketball games are not decided by total baskets scored, elections are not decided by national popular vote, and we have no idea how such an election would have turned out.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Has trump ever hired a qualified person?

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's the rule here in Colorado. Ballots must be in hand by 7 p.m. on Election Day. Not postmarked. Has been that way since mail-in voting started six to eight years ago. And we have plenty of time to vote. Ballots three weeks out. Drop-off boxes all over the place. Or mail it in. I filled mine out on Sunday. I'll drop it off the next couple of days.

Oh, and we have Ballot Trace. I get emails when it was mailed to me, when it will be received, when it's been accepted to be counted and when it's been counted.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

True. And if and when a Democratic President and Congress expand the federal courts to render the current majority a minority, it's perfectly Constitutional and the Republicans can lump it.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Someone in the Biden campaign is gaming out how many seats to expand and who gets the nominations for Biden’s Supreme Court

I’d go four additional seats with Merrick fucking Garland and Barack Obama getting two but not sure who the other two would be.

Any thoughts?

OscarMadison, Mngwa and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Looking forward to a 7-6 majority on the court.

9. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

It was legitimate but unethical and norm-violating (and as you point out, a legitimate grievance). That's why I don't have a problem with her using the word "steal", even if it was *technically* legal to do so.

By that same token, if/when the Democrats regain control of the Senate, they can apply a similar "might makes right" philosophy (the one you have repeatedly expressed concern about on these boards), and it won't be technically illegal either. An escalation? Certainly. But how many more of these technically-legal-but-ethically-indefensible actions should they bear without responding in kind?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Baron Scicluna and garrow like this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

No,no, no that would be terrible and immoral, according to the Trumpists I know

garrow likes this.
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

*shrug*. There’s been 19 appointed in the last 50 years and Barrett makes it 15 of those 19.

Biden will add four and Breyer will make five. Hopefully Alito and Thomas die sooner rather than later so Biden can fill those seats as well.

12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.