1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did I miss a story? Do we know if Obama wants that? Can't he make a fucking mint doing 1-2 speeches a month?

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Never again is what they swore
    The time before

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

His wife would kill him. They're living the best retired life while they're still young enough to really get into it. She's not letting him walk away from that. Actually, if Biden did expand the court, appointing BOTH Obamas would be a real baller move.

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, comrade. Do you ever stop? It was stolen in 2000, and it was stolen again in 2016. Whose side are you on? And I don’t mean Republican or Democratic.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'll say it again:

Now ... it's up to Chuck to do exactly what he threatened to do if the Republicans pulled this crap. This time, the Democrats have to make clear that they mean it.

Add three justices.
    Dump the filibuster.
    Dump the Electoral College. (I hear you, 2MCM ... but do the work and make it clear to enough of the states that the Electoral College is little more than a mechanism to benefit the Republicans ... look at 2000 and 2016 for more proof.)
    Add Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.

Then gauge the hangdog reactionary face on Moscow Mitch.
    Finally, smile.

-----

In summary: See one of Phil Knight's favorite slogans.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Unless you're the guy with the wheelbarrow.

My brother in law is a fracking engineer in Friday Night Lights country. I don't know who he'd vote for. I'd bet 75-80% on Trump, but the thing is he would have never voted for a Democrat anyway. And if he's anything like a lot of the Oil Patch workers, they also have a low tolerance for bullshit. So at best, that Biden aside probably costs him the votes of people who weren't voting for him anyway.

As has been thoroughly discussed, a lot of people got to this stage of the 2016 election and hated both candidates. Hillary Clinton thought she could coast home after the debates and the Access Hollywood tape, but those people who couldn't settle on a candidate decided to go with the devil they didn't know politically rather than the devil they knew, or at least as much as 20 years of talk radio and Fox News reports declaring her to be various levels of the Antichrist told them. This problem was particularly pronounced in places that felt they had lost the most in the Obama years: rural and deindustrialized urban areas of the Midwest. Most contemporary accounts of the current electorate indicate there are very few undecided voters. Further, a lot of the lukewarm lefty types who couldn't get over the Bernie thing or wasted a vote on Jill Stein got a rather terrifying object lesson of the error of their ways.

I am more concerned about losing the election via ratfucking than fair and square.

Pence was more than 45 minutes late for a 1 p.m. speech on a freezing day in Hibbing, Minnesota this afternoon (where they exceeded state gathering capacity limits again). I don't know what the flight times are and such, but my guess is they didn't have him preside because he was running too late to get back as much as anything.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As someone who is very familiar with the Wisconsin culture, I almost couldn't watch Manitowoc Minute videos because they were too convicting. However, I grew to embrace it and just ran in to Fleet Farm real quick once today for a new Carhartt jacket. It's a very accurate sendup of rural Wisconsin.

Driftwood and Gutter like this.
  8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I would never wish death on a fellow human being. I sympathize with your frustration, however. I know you don’t mean it.

Long live Justices Thomas and Alito!

9. Sam Mills 51

So ... it was OK for McConnell to claim that they weren't going to bother with a Supreme Court justice in 2016, yet he has pulled the crap he did in 2020?

And it was OK for McConnell to prioritize ramming through this BS while eight million people slipped into poverty because this was infinitely more important than a Supreme Court justice?

And it was OK for norms to be honored ... until McConnell deemed otherwise? And it was OK for McConnell to blatantly obstruct everything he could during the Obama administration? And it's OK that a Voting Rights bill and a stimulus bill related to the pandemic sits on McConnell's desk because obstruction and selectively deciding when he feels like doing some "work" is acceptable?

It never was. It never is. And, if anyone gives a damn about this democracy, it never will be.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Telling people "Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah" one week before an election is not good politics. The Republicans honestly think the Democrats will do nothing in response. They are betting a lot on a contestable proposition.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Merrick Fucking Garland.

12. Sam Mills 51

See above. If the above happens and the Dems don't pull off the gloves and start swinging, they have failed.

So ... Stay Tuned, I guess.

OscarMadison and TowelWaver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.