1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

<Looks at all the MAGA displays>

Yeah, that checks out.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I like martyrs who have performed some sort of Christlike service.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Something, something coup something, something ...

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Don't start counting early ballots before election day + don't count them after election day =

[​IMG]

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, the people who are the problem are the answer to the problem.

The Supreme Court has become so important politically because it went off the rails last century and turned itself into a de facto legislature, without resistence from Congress to put it in check. One side liked it when it was disregarding the constitution and integrating schools and making laws about abortion and birth control and all kinds of other things that are not constitutional or judicial issues. Now the other side has control and wants their political hacks making that kind of de facto law in the ways they prefer.

Nobody ever intended the Supreme Court to have that kind of unelected power. And the answer isn't more of the same -- whether that is packing the court or finding ways to change the make-up so one side's partisans gets control.

The answer is to weaken the court.

The founders actually anticipated the need to limit the court's power, and addressed it right in the Constitution. Article III, Section 2: In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

In 1789, Congress passed a number of judiciary acts that gave us the bones of the federal court system we have today. None of it is etched in stone, and it clearly no longer works. The answer -- although we are not likely to get it -- is for people to put aside the win-by-any-means partisanship even if it means perverting the judicial system, and get Congress to step in and pass some acts that severely limits the court's ability to make de facto laws like it is the legislature. The horse may be out of the barn on that because we let the judicial activism go on so long, but it is the one true way to fix things.

OscarMadison, RickStain and maumann like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

SPP: Songbird Presidential Poll ...

Biden 388 EV
    Trump 150 EV

Next update: soon

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The most Tennessee tweet ever?

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree that there was Court legislation about “substantive due process” during the Warren Court and I liked it. However that wasn’t the first time the Supreme Court started legislating from the bench. It’s gone back and for the over the years.

I love the Court’s independence (at least in theory) and don’t think legislating it away is the answer. Unfortunately we have politicized the nomination process so much. I accepted the Courts potential for today when Clinton lost in 2016. It was there and we need to accept it rather than change the rules.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nah, they want to win. But the game's changed because of Trump. His shadow will loom so large that the deep left of the Democratic Party has a nice chip to play. You want us to show up at the polls? Then shut up and give us what we want.

Again: My prediction is only Harris really can stop the surge. And she may not want to.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

/non buttchugging category

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Their fatalism applies to elections.

America: "Oh, boy! I can't wait to take back my country and have everything change for the better!"
    Eastern Europe: "Shit. Hope things don't change for the worse."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.