1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

NE-02's single EV is actually super important. The scenario that keeps me up at night is a repeat of 2016's 4-5 point polling miss in the upper midwest. Biden's leads in WI and MI are actually large enough to survive that, but that would put PA into essentially tied mode, and Republicans have eagerly signaled that they intend to engineer their very own Bush v. Gore sequel at the slightest excuse.

But, Clinton + MI, WI, AZ and NE-02 is a clean 270, and Arizona in recent years has had polling misses in Democrats' favor. That would bypass PA entirely and is extremely plausible.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

New York Times: Tax records show Trump had over $270 million in debt forgiven after failing to repay lenders - CNNPolitics

"President Donald Trump has had more than $270 million in debt forgiven since 2010 after he failed to repay his lenders for a Chicago skyscraper development, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

An analysis of his tax records by the Times shows that after the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago encountered financial problems, big banks and hedge funds cut Trump considerable slack, granting him years of additional time to repay his debts, much of which was ultimately forgiven.

And while the previously unreported forgiven debts would usually fuel a large tax bill, Trump appears to have managed to pay almost no federal income tax on them, the Times reported, partially because of the significant financial losses his other businesses were enduring.

Trump Organization chief legal officer Alan Garten told the Times that the organization and Trump had paid all necessary taxes on the forgiven debts."

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

While Trump was on Air Force One or back at the White House sending that asinine tweet, thousands of old people were freezing cold and walking miles to their cars because they were forgotten about.

Yep, adds up.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think I read that at least seven seniors were rushed to the hospital with hypothermia.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I will get back to you when I feel the least bit of sympathy for anyone who chose to go to a Trump rally and something bad happened to them.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Even better: he had just gotten to Vegas when he sent it

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor. That is all you ever see in the newspapers! I mean, I am the only president elected three times! Three times! Nobody ever talks writes about that in the papers. Nobody talks about it on the radio. I never get credit for that. Never. Your favorite president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, gave you Social Security. Nobody else could have gotten that done. Nobody. You think Wendell Willkie could have? Please, he's an amateur. Still, I might add. Because I won. Big. I won big! 449 electoral votes. I won damn 38 states for crying out loud. 38! And you wanna talk about the war? Okay, let's talk about the war. You all would want Herbert Claaaaaaaark Hoover as president during a war? A Quaker!!?!?!? Nobody ever heard of Quakers before that guy."
    --Franklin D. Roosevelt fireside chat, December 18, 1941

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“Why is the media focusing on the nine people who went to the hospital instead of the 2,991 who made it back to their cars?” — Kayleigh McEnaney.

bigpern23, garrow, HanSenSE and 6 others like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

How cow. I did a class activity yesterday where I gave students links to Fox News, CNN, The Nation, Breitbart, AP, and Politico. They had to see how the news was presented on each site, give their opinion as to whether each side was fairly neutral, right or left leaning, extreme right or left, then give evidence to support their opinion.

The number of people who said Breitbart is fairly neutral is mind blowing.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This whole thing is hysterical (and really aggravating) on so many levels.

First, everything this slapdick touches is a failure. It's made worse by the fact that he doesn't do small things. He way overleverages himself trying to do the biggest, baddest, greatest in history things, virtually insuring that he is going to fail because he is so overleveraged. And it happens over and over again.

In this case, he was borrowing $700 million + dollars to buy into the biggest real estate bubble in history and the loans came due exactly when the bubble popped. His timing couldn't have been worse, although I think failure is so ingrained in him as a businessman, that I would suggest that a savvy person who was privvy to those loans would have been able to predict that the bubble was going to peak when Donald Trump was borrowing on that scale.

For it's part, Deutsche Bank turned itself into the Donald Trump of banks. His reputation was so ridiculously bad as a deadbeat that Goldman, JP Morgan, Brown Brothers, and virtually every other firm with a private bank on the planet wouldn't touch him. But there was Deutsche Bank playing the role of Wiley E. Coyote over and over again. They lend him $640 million with only $40 million of collateral! Given that he was such a renowned deadbeat, at least Fortress, which got screwed anyhow, put a loan shark interest rate on their loan.

As an aside, this is what the Federal Reserve created (and has made much worse since trying to prop up a mess) and saddled us with, and we pay the price. They were suppressing interest rates in the name of endless "stimulus," and nobody wanted to acknowledge the price. They made income-starved investors behave in riskier and riskier ways to try to earn the return they were being robbed of. Which is how Deutsche Bank was able to find suckers to repackage those Trump loans to. What could possibly go wrong?

As a result, there are pension funds out there that ate hunreds of millions of dollars while Donald Trump moved on to his next con.

And this is moral hazard in a nutshell. They set it up so that failure gets rewarded, and the cost gets socialized in one way or another (which is an anchor on our economy). We have created a survival of the unfittest economy. And in the case of a giant douchebag and con man who fails at things on a grand scale. ... the cost was on a grand scale. If you could unravel it, you would find some public pension that is going to fail, and we will be called on to bail it out -- socializing the cost.

They just made this all worse since the early 2000s, and the amount of debt like this Trump debt out there that has been propped up for more than a decade on more and more escalating debt creation as the Fed has destroyed the credit markets. We are facing a huge reckoning at some point, unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.