1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama's Rt is back up to 1.23.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

About 97.3% of COVID doom headlines are qualified by "may." 97.2% get posted here.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

}

The crazy thing is ... that's not *that* high. Remember early on when we were trying to figure out the R0 without interventions and the range was like 2.5-6?

It's crazy how we have consistently been able to get it *close* to 1 but not below it.

4. RickStain

It drives me crazy, it's journalistic malpractice in headline writing. Anyone writing a headline knows or should know that the average reader will interpret "can" or "may" as roughly 50/50. If that is not the true odds, you are fabricating information when you write it that way.

5. RickStain

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

New York Post not a fan of "may" headlines. They just stated equivocally that it's true.

https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.o...3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I’m a Vitamin D guy now. Starting taking it after Fauci said it

TigerVols likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

From August 31 through October 5th it has been below 1 here. I use the BamaTracker dashboard, which only updates Rt on Mondays (may be a State Dept. of Health thing). This month has been .94 on the 5th, then 1.01, 1.1, and 1.23 on the 26th.

Per the WaPo's dashboard, our highest number of new cases ever recorded was on Oct. 23 (3800+) with new cases up over 80% in the last week and a positivity rate of 25%.

Alabama COVID-19 Case Tracker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...onavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=sf_coronavirus

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted