1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The Rasmussen poll put Mr. Biden ahead by as many as 12 percentage points a few short weeks ago.

The trend is “troublesome.”

2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I'm trying to not get too overoptimistic, but I have a really hard time seeing how Trump pulls the inside straight (again) this time around. And yes, I thought the same thing last time too--but this feels decidedly different.

For those thinking he will, I'm curious too what you all view as how he will do it (and how legal or not his means of doing so is).

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So, like, does the guy or gal who accurately predicts who this is win a prize or something?

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Those cold Nebraska Trumpers shoulda called an audible.

[​IMG]

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still think Biden takes it. People are getting tired of Trump's act. The lack of a comprehensive federal response to the pandemic will be his ultimate undoing. Like when he claims "the greatest health care" will be announced in two weeks, he keeps kicking the can forward, hoping it will go away on its own just by the force of his words. It's not. By 1/20/21, it will have been with us for nearly a year and I don't see a cure any closer.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

SPP: Songbird Presidential Poll

Biden 412 EV
    Trump 126 EV

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This is a long but excellent read.

Why Millions Of Americans Don’t Vote

Quick takeaways, particularly matched with the Election Project showing 71 million ballots already cast, which is more than half of all votes cast in 2016.

"This year, though, there are signs[ that we could be heading for a record-breaking voter turnout. And if that happens, it could be due in large part to the fact that a lot of people who vote only sometimes cast a ballot this year. According to our survey, 82 percent of these voters are following the 2020 election somewhat or very closely, and 93 percent are planning to vote in 2020 — very close to the share of those who say they always vote (97 percent). A much smaller but still non-negligible share of nonvoters (51 percent) also say they’re planning to vote this year."

And people who don't regularly vote neither trust the system nor the people on the ballot.

"That deeply rooted disgust with the state of the country’s politics was also evident in our survey and interviews. This year, many Americans on both sides of the political divide feel a need to participate that overrides their distaste for the candidates and the system, but it may not last. Each individual voter will face a new calculus two or four years from now, when the political context could be quite different.

"High voter turnout this year shouldn’t be taken as a sign that Americans are newly confident in their electoral system — instead, the driving emotion seems to be desperation."

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Desperation."

I'd buy that.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Total vote: 165 million

Biden 53 percent
    Trump 46 percent
    Other 1 percent