1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sort of? It's complicated and at the same time it isn't.

For practical purposes, immunity is retained for sufficient time to make the SIR model useful at the population level.

Some people can be reinfected quickly, most people will probably reach a point where they can be reinfected but it is much less serious because the immune system responds more quickly and efficiently. The first group appears to be extremely small, the length of time relevant to the second group is almost certainly long enough to stop the virus from continuing to be a pandemic.

Cold-causing coronaviruses generally run on two-year cycles at the quickest. It still looks to me like this just joins them as No. 5 in a few years.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

i'm actually very hopeful about that happening

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

basically is my word peeve. Anytime some says "basically" you can disregard what ever follows.

"He basically killed her, by voting against that legislation that may have helped my loved one enter a test trial for a treatment."
    "He basically said he's a Nazi, by not wishing us Happy Hannukah"
    "They are basically throwing us out in the street - because we haven't paid rent in six months (obviously this is a pre-COVID reference)."

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're somehow one of the not dark-red states, so we'll take it.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, I made a comment some months ago that there was no way we'd have 2,000 people dying every day .... uh ... I was wrong?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe? If cases stop growing really quick and the current set of cases shows even more improvement in death rate, then we might be able to squeak under 2k per day. But if either of those don't happen, then we're headed straight there.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Voldemort and the Death Eaters.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Our county is at 91 percent capacity on ICU beds (not all COVID) and had what I believe to be the biggest positive day ever yesterday at 120. We did have a snowstorm last weekend that shut down the testing for a couple of days, so it could be somewhat of a rebound from that. Still. The positive rate is 5.1, which while very good compared to a lot of places right now, is probably about as high as it's been too.

Anyway, the Coloradoan posted its story on this on FB this morning and people are losing their damn minds. Saying it's fake, asking where they got the numbers, and every other dumb thing you can think of. Obviously that type of attitude is why we aren't getting better. But I think looking at all these rants and questions when the answers are clearly in the story and on the county's well done website. So brain power is obviously a negative factor in all this too.

Larimer County ICU capacity at 91% as COVID-19 cases rise

gingerbread likes this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Why is the mountain west being crushed by this in the last few weeks? What did it do right in the first six months of the crisis?

Draft saved Draft deleted