1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I agree with Michael Moore
    Whatever the polls say Biden’s margin is anywhere
    Cut it in half

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Unless they just start throwing votes out wholesale. Then it's time for general strikes, for starters.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You're jumping to conclusions based on a petition? From the Austin Statesman.

"However, it takes only one justice on the nine-member court to request a response to a petition, and there is no way of knowing how many justices were interested in Harris County’s response because the court does not disclose that information.

"In addition, before tossing out the votes, the court would have to acknowledge that 117,000 Harris County voters had visited a drive-thru polling site by Thursday night, including more than 42,000 drive-thru votes that were cast since justices first had a chance to stop the practice a week earlier but did not.

"After all, only one week earlier the same court had dismissed two petitions that sought to block drive-thru voting — available only in the growing Democratic bastion of Harris County — as illegal.

"At the time, the court gave no reason for denying separate requests to intervene by the Texas Republican Party and the Harris County GOP, although one member of the all-Republican court disagreed. Justice John Devine said he would have ended drive-thru voting for stretching state election law beyond understanding, but no other justices joined his dissenting opinion."

The onus is on the aggrieved party to show two things: clear evidence that the votes were illegally cast AND effect the results of the election (and remember we're talking about almost 10 million LEGAL votes in Texas already), attorneys are going to have to show enough evidence to overturn two court rulings.

You can contest an election all you want. But nearly every state requires specific evidence that overwhelmingly shows why ballots were illegal AND that those ballots would have changed the result.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope you're right.

swingline and maumann like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What life failure looks like:

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Of course they did, Onward Christian Soldiers, marching off to war.in the name of Jesus Fuck up some kids.

whe blacks do something, they are labeled. When Hispanic do something, they are labeled. Women, Jews, Muslims ...
    it’s time journalists either stop identifying or be complete.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We had a “Trump Train” of honking cars and trucks come through our neighborhood and since I live on a county road, we were on the route. A lot of “Fuck Your Feelings” and “No More Bullshit” flags. A nice one saying “Kamala Isn’t Black”. Lot of “Women for Trump” flags with no women in the cars. Me and my 15 year old stood outside on our front lawn by our Biden signs while people threw middle fingers at us and two called me a fag (there was a cop parked right next to our house). We have a pedestrian activated crosswalk on our corner, so Biden supporters kept on pressing it to break up the parade.

gingerbread and maumann like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No, it won’t. Trump not only skimmed most of his election mo he, but has diverted tens of million of it to lawyers already. Lawyers will do anything as long as the retainer is paid in advance. If criminal defense attorneys will argue that elderly patients in nursing homes consent to anal intercourse with the night orderly, they will certainly represent trump. They will begin with restraining orders to prohibit vote counting until the after the certification is due and requests that they be able to personally inspect each and every ballot in order to contest them, one by one. They will appeal every ruling. They will sue everyone. They will seek to remove state cases to federal court and those in federal court they will seek to divert to state court. They will only Sue in counties where democrats win and object to state wide recounts, unless it benefits the republicans. We will here that process is democracy. And the this is a republic, not a democracy. They will say they want fairness while denying the vote to their opposition.

this is a promise.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

in the 9 days since the article you linked was pubished, the issue was refiled with a federal court expected to be more friendly to the complaint.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a police riot.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

This is what concerns me, especially this sentence: In Pennsylvania, nearly 75% of registered Black voters have not yet voted, the data shows.

Biden Aides See Warning Signs in Black, Latino Turnout So Far

If Biden loses Pa. it will largely be because he has failed to get Black voters to cast votes, even with Obama's help.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It really depends how close the EC ends up being. Texas, Ohio and Georgia swinging forget about it. But if we're looking at 300-335 range for Biden (which is where I think it lands if he wins) then you only need to challenge 3 states: Florida, Pennsylvania and Michigan/Wisconsin. That's 50+ EVs that could put this into weirdness. Anything where you need to fight more than those 3 and given how SCOTUS basically said we're not changing rules already in place, and don't bother. I wonder if Roberts will get Alito and say, listen we can't be responsible for what is about to happen to this country is we can the election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.