1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Because it has gotten cold there, perhaps? And people are inside more.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We've all been spending time inside with our cohorts.

The South Dakota governor should just resign by next week's end. She will not be of any political use to anyone else, any longer.

The state is on pace for the entire state (100.0%) to be infected over the next year.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

1,789 new cases in Alabama yesterday, with a 14 day positive test rate of 21%.

I wonder what the Rt/R0 will be when it updates next week. 1.23 on 10/26.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably 0.63.

Sites I used to go to for that information NEVER jibed with what was really happening.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm really angry about life today, and this is moderately anonymous, so I hope I can ask this question and you'll both take it with a grain of salt but provide a serious answer, and if you think I'm an idiot for asking it, well great. Here goes:

We're approaching the eight month mark of this bullshit and it still appears that the best that science and public health can offer us for an option is "close everything and hide at home." And I know, something something science and frontline heroes, but to me this as logical as wondering why a football team playing defense for eight months is somehow not winning. I've played by the rules pretty much every fucking day. I live by myself. I now work by myself, and I'm lucky to still have this job (I avoided this board for months because I didn't want to read layoff threads.) I can pretty confidently predict that the only person I will have a face-to-face conversation with today will be a food delivery driver (and this could go for the whole week, really.)

Why is this the best we can do?

Because I think someone or something is at fault that is bigger than politics or mask wearing.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

UPChip: A couple thoughts/topics come to mind.

1. Science: This virus has been around for about a year (beginning in China) and they still haven't found an effective vaccine for it. That's the "offense" in your football comparison, and we still can't find it. Not sure that's anyone's fault. So lacking that option, all we can do is try to play defense, which leads us to ...

2. Politics: I'm wondering if there's anything that can unify this country. It's so deeply divided politically that not only do we disagree on what the answers are, we can't even agree on what the questions are. I would say one side in particular has been "anti-science" and against masks, social distancing, etc. ... but there's also no question that "my" side is scoring political points off this, too.

If we're hell bent on destroying the other side politically (and we absolutely are), it makes us easy pickens for a virus that could care less about politics, the economy or cultural wars. It simply spreads and mutates until we can figure out how to stop it.

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

but to me this as logical as wondering why a football team playing defense for eight months is somehow not winning.

Because half the team is following the game plan, and the other half is doing whatever the fuck they feel like on every down.

OscarMadison, SFIND, Slacker and 12 others like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Vaccines never arrive as quickly as hoped. That’s just the history. Trump’s flunky COS said six weeks ago that one would be ready by “the end of October.” Here we are and here it isn’t. Not gonna arrive in time for college hoops season.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

UPChip, we are the leading math and science country in the world and we can't stave this off. That's the 'why' I'd like to know.

I've got a kid now speaking in my southern drawl because I'm the only motherfucker he's been around for the last eight months.

The best advice for the anger associated with this is to stay in the middle. Don't fly too high, don't fly too low. Easier said than done.

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This is my first night out of isolation.
    I thought I was going to be like Andy Dufresne. It's more like Brooks Hatlen.
    I'm institutionalized.

Draft saved Draft deleted