1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nothing in that response is true, but why should anyone be stunned.
    I have a legit question: when a Trumpie friend of mine claims they'll win, "because look at the thousands at his rallies and the dozens at Biden's," I usually say, "well the Biden campaign is trying to be a little more responsible than packing thousands into a small area." But are these rallies, significantly bigger than anything Biden is putting on, a sign of the tide changing?

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I don't think Trump ever disputed that Biden had more viewers when they held televised Town Halls on the same night and time earlier this month.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Somehow the Trumpies are forgetting that. I did have a friend tell me that the huge Trump rallies don't matter to the big picture because he's only exciting people who have already voted for him, or will on Tuesday. He's not getting new voters.
    I sure as hell hope so.

gingerbread and Driftwood like this.
  4. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Being in the media, where is my Soros check? Probably in the same place as my wife's check (she's a doctor) for treating COVID patients.

gingerbread and Patchen like this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Pressing issues at 1 a.m.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Greetings from Minnesota, specifically Northern Minnesota. Our coverage area has gotten Trump, Pence (twice), Don Jr., Ivanka and Biden. The funny thing is that the city I'm in (OK, it's Duluth) is probably the largest liberal enclave outside of the Twin Cities metro (voted 60/30 Clinton and that was a slow year). The part that they're really after is the magical Iron Range. Home of Kevin McHale and three members of the Miracle on Ice, the Range is home to Trump's favorite kind of voters: overwhelmingly white, underwhelmingly educated and on thin ice economically. Because of its remote location, chronically shitty weather, lack of educational opportunities or transportation (like a river), the area is entirely economically beholden to iron ore mining, which is great in the good times and really bad in the bad ones (the most recent of these bad times ended in about 2015). The state has been attempting to diversify the region's economy for 75 years but it won't take because Rangers would rather have a 50/50 shot at a union mining job that pays $100K than a 100% shot at a hospitality job that pays $30K.

There are two separate copper-nickel mining projects that have been grinding through the legal process (not to mention Enbridge's Line 3 oil pipeline), which up there means more jobs for hard-workin' Real Americans, but copper-nickel mining involves sulfuric acid, and a lot of people have a problem with that considering one of the projects is basically within walking distance of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. So it creates a perfect wedge issue for the GOP, splitting the "hard-workin' Real Americans" of the Range against the rest of the DFL (Democrat-Farmer-Labor) Party, in this case led by anti-mining environmentalists, Twin Cities tourists who don't know their place (the biggest Congressional obstacle to these projects is the Congresswoman who represents St. Paul) and uppity Native Americans. That is the biggest reason the GOP flipped this Congressional district two years ago and will probably hold it for a while, depending how the lines get drawn in 2021.

Here's the problem. After subtracting the city, this county, which is larger than the state of Connecticut by area, generated about 60,000 votes in 2016, about a third to a half of which would be called the Range. The non-city portion of St. Louis County went to Trump by less than 1,000 of those votes. So maybe he runs up the margin and wins St. Louis County outside of Duluth by 75-25, which is probably nuts given the union saturation of those mines. Every vote he gains on the Range, he's losing twice in the Twin Cities suburbs, which are actually growing.

It's a non-zero chance both for him and for Jason Lewis, a talk-radio asshole whose plan after getting kicked out of the House after one term in 2018 was to get back into the Senate, but it's a pretty slim one. Most of the polling through Minnesota has put Biden up 5-10 points and that's before he and Hope Hicks had a superspreader event at the Duluth airport.

Allen West isn't even a Texan. He simply gained the endorsement of the nutjob wing of the Texas Republican Party for being a bigger nutjob than them.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Vigorous!!

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Miller's demise will be of biblical proportions.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Which totally surprises me. I've heard nothing but bellyaching about Cooper even before day 1, and people have whined about masks and closures since spring. Now granted, these people are all going to vote for Trump and Tillis, but it's a head scratcher to me that there could be enough split ticket voting that could elect both Trump/Tillis and Cooper.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

They decided to confirm Barrett to this court in part because of more than two decades work as a GOP operative. We took into consideration the argument that confirming a justice in election year is perfectly fine if the GOP controls both the White House and the Senate. They were wrong to make this confirmation, however. It reflects poor judgment on their part, and we regret that decision.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every issue poll I've seen on the question shows significant Republican support for virus mitigation measures. So it's not weird that there'd be Cooper-Trump-Tillis voters if they approve of Cooper's handling of the virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.