1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The number of people who think it all goes away Wednesday is truly mind boggling.
    People honestly believe that.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Whole lot of stupid out there. Scary amount of stupid. I mean, hell, more than 60 million people looked at Donald Trump in 2016 and thought, "Now there is a PRESIDENT," and there's still a chance he wins again.

WHOLE LOT of stupid out there

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is harder to avoid contacts with multiple people when you live in a major metro, like say, Boston.

gingerbread likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

It didn't get much attention because of Trump's meltdown, but in that 60 Minutes last Sunday, Pence advised senior citizens (such as moi) not to have/attend family gatherings this Thanksgiving.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why do you need to go to Joe's Shoe Repair in the middle of a pandemic? How much wear and tear are you putting on your slippers walking from your bedroom to your home office?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's OK.

Joe got $1200 in March.

He's fine.

SFIND and RickStain like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

I need new pants badly. But I'm putting up with fraying cuffs because I don't need a respiratory disease right now, thanks. That's the kind of consumer decision I'm talking about.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Understood. But my city is the state's most populous (900,000), so it's not exactly Hooterville. I just don't go to popular "hangout" places.

I believe Deskgrunt described 6 feet of distance as impossible at his grocery stores. Sounds like utter hell to me.

Dog walking.
    Kicking things when Gitmo throws another Pick-6.

gingerbread, Driftwood and TigerVols like this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Instead of masking up, staying home and social distancing, people spent more time trying to figure out how to get around the regulations. It's the Trumpian Way.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mail order. It is a beautiful thing. They bring it right to your door, you don't have to see or talk to anyone. I got a new fleece delivered yesterday and wore it on my walk today. I have new jeans due to be delivered Wednesday.

And Best American Sports Writing is coming Tuesday, I can read it to take my mind off the election results.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Honestly as much as people return to "but we're not shoulder to shoulder" or "why is it OK to go to the supermarket but not get a haircut with everyone masked up" it isn't about those anecdotes. We may be safe getting a haircut if both sides take precautions, but it's the complacency and the feeling of if one is fine, why not something else or that other thing. This is about limiting community spread and limiting how often the community is together.

Having people stay home except for necessary tasks limits how often we breathe on each other. Does it suck? Yes. Is everything going to be a "super spreader event?" No. But we have to draw the line and take drastic steps to slow this down. Honestly, that's what this is about. Can we slow this down by limiting how often we get together. This isn't Sodom and Gomorrah where Lot negotiated with God to save the cities if he could find 10,000 righteous people or 1,000 righteous people or 100 or 10 or 1. There is always a whatabout. What about this place where we stay outside? What about the place where there's only five people inside? Again we need to limit contacts. Whatabout forcing people to stay in the house and spread it to their housemates? Don't they already live with their housemates? How does letting people go out not spread it to housemates?

Limit how often you go out so you don't breathe on others and others don't breathe on you. Mask the fuck up. And how about we start rethinking how we conduct business? Do you need to do everything in a storefront? Shoe repair? OK you are walking your dog and your shoe falls apart, fine. But do you have to go inside or can the shoe repair have a drop box and you do business through a kiosk? Bait shop? Sidewalk store front? Other shops. Why not have people order online and businesses hire their own people deliver instead of relying on Doordash or like services that gouge businesses?

Why is this pandemic still going? Because our top leaders couldn't be bothered to get a national plan. Because individuals couldn't be bothered to do what was required. Because the country that used to innovate better than any other country is so stuck in "this is how we always do it." We can't do it that way, so what are we going to do? How are you going to save American lives and make money in the process?

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Was at a Sprouts that just opened in our area. My county rescinded its mask mandate, but many businesses have a policy that you have to wear one. Sprouts policy is to wear one. And pretty much everyone was, but there was one lady without and she was confronted. she said 'well I don't wear it anymore since the mask mandate expired.' And she was told in no uncertain terms that it was store policy and they handed her a mask and she put it on.

Draft saved Draft deleted