1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

All excellent points @maumann . I would imagine it's not just Trump driving this insane push to disqualify so many votes in Harris County, but possibly also Cornyn as well, and potential future redistricting...state Republicans here are absolutely terrified of even the prospect of Texas going blue. I'm very glad this petition was denied as a start--thank you for sharing the news.

maumann likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Rick-

Too big to rig. You know that.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It has only been a couple of weeks since four Supreme Court justices voted to overrule Pennsylvania courts on what Pennsylvania election law said. They were thwarted by it being a 4-4 tie and the lower court ruling disagreeing with them. And since then we've added a fifth justice hand-picked for agreeing with them.

Hundreds of years of precedent that state courts have supremacy on state election issues is very much in doubt at the moment.

maumann and TigerVols like this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

That is such an apt comparison. I've never seen it drawn before but it is nails.

He fucking is Nellie.

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

6. RickStain

I think that's the most likely outcome. I think there's a vocal contingent inside Trump's offices that would be all about loading up the jackboots and fucking shit up on Tuesday night in a literal coup, and I think they could convince Trump to go for it. It would be reckless of us not to be aware of the possibility.

But actually pulling it off would require a level of competence they don't generally show, especially because it would require a widespread effort. Fucking shit up in Pennsylvania is a lot more doable than doing it in a dozen states simultaneously.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I still have to go with Biff Tannen. Nellie was at least taught some social graces.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Again I'll ask, what evidence can anyone point to over the past few weeks that indicates the SCOTUS and its minions won't rule in favor of the GOP at every opportunity now that it has a solid majority?

[​IMG]

RickStain likes this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

The thing that makes me sanguine about Pennsylvania is its very take-no-shit AG has been doing a lot of shows/podcasts lately and saying hijinks will not be tolerated.

This is a key person in a key(stone) state telling troublemakers: "Try me."

10. RickStain

Meanwhile, local officials in both Florida and Pennsylvania have publicly rejected what they call an unusual request from Trump campaign staff to know the names of people who transport the ballots and where they are stored before counting.

Probably no big deal.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They've done it once before.

[​IMG]

12. RickStain

That's why I think this is a tipping point for all this ratfuckery. 2018 gave Democrats enough state-level control to have a chance to fight some of this off.

If the votes are counted in two days, the massive turnout and wide Biden lead (nobody thinks Trump is winning the actual vote, just that he might squeak the EC) should translate into even larger state and local level gains, which means a lot of these shenanigans will be even harder to employ in 2022 and 2024, etc.

Which isn't to say that Republicans will never be able to win again. They'll just have to move back to the center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.