1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A pro-choice person "imposing their will" on you does not prevent you from doing whatever the hell you want. You don't want an abortion, don't get one.

The same cannot be said of a "pro-life" person imposing their will on you.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, the same could be said about laws against murder, for instance!

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well done, the taking of life, as a religious belief, is protected. Do polygamy and incest now. (The world is governed by monogamists with ugly daughters. )

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You tried to hold her back BEFORE she attempted to impose anything.

Like the policeman pulling her over for Driving While Conservative.

"Was she committing any moving violations?"
    No
    "Was her tag or licence expired?"
    No
    "Was the vehicle stolen?"
    No
    "Then why did you pull her over?"

Because I think she might have done bad things in the future. You know, "those people" are always doing bad things.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh sure, that never happens, no Christian woman would ever be held back because of her beliefs ... even if we're not even sure those are her beliefs!
    New book reveals how elite Ph.D. admissions committees review candidates

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You may not be talking about Black South Carolinians, but it is a pattern of behavior. It is so easy to take every little thing as it's own little thing instead of evidence of a broader problem: Lindsey Graham wants you to be just like him or he has no time for you.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You use the term Christian as if it is uniformly understood to signify a standard and known set of beliefs. That’s false. There are many sects in the belief in the godliness of a person known as Jesus. There are even people who call them selves Jews yet believe in the divinity of person known as Jesus. Just because someone self labels as a Christian, or a group adopts certain styles and words and calls themselves Christian, can mean many things to many people. Some sects spent hundreds of years using Christianity to justify slavery. Some sects use Christianity to relegate females to second class citizens. Some use Christianity as justification for sexual with preteen and early teen girls, polygamy and incest is not unheard of as a biblical concept.

Christianity is way too broad a term

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Usually that only happens to black or hispanic motorists.

wicked and Spartan Squad like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Let's get another super spreader event in before the election is over.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

OK, I feel better reading some articles like this:

With Deluge Of Mail Ballots, Here's When To Expect Election Results In 6 Key States

The problem with the "declare early victory" plan is that there are states just as important as Pennsylvania where the D-leaning early vote will be counted first and he will need late counting to make a comeback.

80% of North Carolina's expected turnout will be already counted and released the moment polls close. That could be an immediate knock-out.

garrow likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There is a difference between voting on laws and making decisions on behalf of the country because we are a Republic and explicitly saying there is only room for you in this country if you subscribe to certain beliefs.

I may not like how a politician votes and I will voice my displeasure. My right as an American. But when the politician starts making decisions that affect how people can live their lives because that choice doesn't fall into a belief system that is a problem.

OscarMadison and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The hold back attempts were based on HER previous statements.

Your example:

“Was she committing any moving violations?”

“My religion says I don’t have to obey driving laws because I have a sincerely held religious belief that God says it’s OK for me to drive fast.”

“Was her tag or license expired?”

“I won’t answer on the legality of driver’s license laws.”

“Was the vehicle stolen?”

“I won’t say whether laws against vehicle theft are just.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.