1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hey, remember when the Trumpers tried to hide the federal data on COVID-19 hospitalizations?

Yep, it leaked to the media.

The news came to light this week after someone with insider knowledge reportedly leaked the government’s daily reports on covid-19 hospitalization to NPR. These updates document nationwide trends in hospitalizations of covid-19 patients, highlighting where facilities are reaching capacity or are under stress for lack of beds, ventilators, or other equipment. According to NPR, the reports show that hospital occupancy, ventilator usage, and ICU bed occupancy have been steadily increasing over the month of October, with an Oct. 27 report revealing that all three have shot up by 14%-16% this month.

Hospitals around the metropolitan areas of Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Baltimore appear especially stretched thin, reporting over 80% full capacity for in-patient hospital beds. And the situation’s even worse in cities like Tampa, Birmingham, and New York: facilities there are struggling with 95% ICU capacity and could soon run out of intensive care beds.

While the federal government has gathered this information on a daily basis throughout the pandemic, these stats aren’t shared with the public. A distribution list of these documents reviewed by NPR showed that they only went out to a few dozen staffers from the HHS, CDC, and the National Institutes of Health along with one member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, Adm. Brett Giroir. I can’t stress enough that these are literally daily health-related updates; that’s an awful lot of data to claim that the public doesn’t need to know.

HHS told NPR that 800 state health officials can access these reports for their own state, but must be granted permission from another state to view its data. The outlet notes that these arbitrary restrictions do a fat lot of good for places where emergency services frequently have to cross state lines, like in Tennessee, which shares its border with eight other states.​

Someone's Leaked Federal Covid-19 Hospitalization Data
    Internal Documents Reveal COVID-19 Hospitalization Data The Government Keeps Hidden

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this is my shocked face

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is what Trumpists want.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Justin_Rice likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Switzerland had 21,926 cases on Monday.

That’s the equivalent, in one day, of roughly 840.000 cases in the US. (If my math is right.)

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So you’re saying the Swiss are neutral on the issue of whether to fight the virus?

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Link for that figure? When using Google just now, the site I found had 9,000 new cases on Oct. 30. That isn't great, and they're clearly spiking, but the government has also responded by going back into lockdown. Even if we posit that your information is correct, this is essentially their first wave, since its previous peak was about 1,700 in April.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is a colleague at The Athletic. So so sad. And it makes me angry that folks exist who think this is a hoax or is getting better.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

John Elway has the bug.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yesterday's tab on Worldometers.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That totally sucks. When I was down for the count, although I felt pretty good after the fever broke, I was wondering if something was going to slip up from behind. I guess I still do. I'm back at work, been doing yard work, gone fishing, walk each morning, etc. It's coming up on two weeks since my positive test.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been very upset since I found out - I'd been in a pretty good frame of mind lately. I just feel awful for that family and awful for any family dealing with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted