1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My first POTUS vote was in 1988 for GHW Bush. The polling place was a Methodist church my great-grandfather had planted and my family attended. All the poll workers were the little old ladies of the church.

Four years later, I was roaring drunk on the Old State House lawn at Clinton's victory speech.

Alma likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Voted absentee in 1972 for my home state of Delaware. Was living in Colorado at the time. Don't remember much now except that I did vote for Joe Biden, then on track to be the youngest Senator ever.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I voted for the first time in 1980. Was 20 and in my third year of college. Voted for Carter, probably at the high school we lived across the street from. Don't remember any of it.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1976. Voted for Jimmy Carter.

Yes, I'm old.

First election I remember is 1964.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Was fairly apolitical about voting until 2004, a few cycles after I could have (and in retrospect, should have) started voting. Bush's animus toward same-sex couples and civil unions/marriage, and using this as a wedge issue to drive Republican turnout, was what finally prompted me to vote Democrat (and I've yet to vote for a Republican for president since).

gingerbread likes this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And Don King is a convicted manslaughterer.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

1980 was my first election.voted forJohn Anderson at the elementary school a block from my house

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If there's one thing I remember about WHY I voted for Bubba it was because of this:

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

First election was 1988. Went with the guy in the tank.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The 2004 election was a turning point for me to in terms of being apolitical/apathetic before. But it was the Iraq War that made me vote Dem. My polling place then (in grad school) was the university art museum. Longest line I ever waited in to vote, as it was election day. Voted early ever since.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In 1980, I was a sophomore at Kansas and cast my first presidential vote for John Anderson, doing my part to help him win a big zero in the Electoral College.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.