1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1988 for me. GHW Bush.

maumann likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As of 10 a.m., more people have voted in Colorado than all of the 2016 election. We could see 80 percent turnout here.

gingerbread, maumann and TowelWaver like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

No. 423 at 1:25 CST. No waiting, though I did have to navigate a bunch of students from the local university racking up volunteer hours and desperately seeking something to do.

It is a bizarrely nice day in Northern Minnesota. iPhone weather app has it as 70 and sunny, which is amazing considering we had basically three straight weeks we couldn't get above 45 in the back half of October, including two snow events. It was barely above freezing as recently as Sunday.

I'm not sure if that will have anything to do with anything, but we have run into early-season hockey attendances that are hampered by days like this because it's too nice a day to waste.

maumann likes this.
  5. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Given how much the Trump campaign pushed Butt-Head/Uday (or is it Qusay?) in its Pennsylvania campaign -- and how its brain trust somehow believes he's a viable U.S. Senate candidate in the future from there -- it would be hilarious if they completely screwed things up in that state. I wouldn't even put the putative cokehead in charge of taking my garbage from the kitchen to the garage, and they're not even 10 feet apart.

2muchcoffeeman, wicked and TowelWaver like this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

My first Presidential vote would have been in 2004 and during my sophomore year of college, on the wrong peninsula of my home state's two, so it would have been absentee and for John Kerry.

maumann and TowelWaver like this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Funny to remember, in 1984, my first presidential election, I'm walking to the polls (in college) with my best buddy and he asks "who you voting for?" and I respond "guy in the tank" and he follows up with "why""; I respond "I'm worried about the deficit growing" and he convinces me with "do you feel it now?"

My biggest voting mistake.

maumann likes this.
  8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The first election I know I participated in was an off-year in 2003 maybe? My dad's on the local township board. He has to run every 4 years or whatever, but it's very much an inherited position. His dad before him, his dad before him, etc. It's almost impossible to get anyone else to run. Mostly they're in charge area roads, but only outside the actual town, and only gravel roads.

Anyway, a local group wanted to start a library. They didn't have their shit together at all. All they had was some donated collection of like 2,000 Danielle Steele-esque novels. They wanted to use an abandoned building in town, but it was in rough shape and they had no money for it. No money for any ADA requirements. Nothing. Just "give us a library to store our shitty 80s paperbacks."

They'd approached the county, turned down. Approached the city, turned down. Approached the township, turned down.

Turned down by everyone, they went to petitions and who wouldn't want a library, right? So they got enough support and got it on the ballot.

That was the first time I voted. My dad and I went down to vote against a local library. I'm sure the final count was 150-2.

My first presidential election was 2008, when I bucked the GOP and voted Obama because Sarah Palin and her proud anti-intelligence seemed like something to be afraid of.

gingerbread and maumann like this.
  9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

This guy does. I can’t imagine how petrified he was during the tail end of this interview.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

2000, was a senior at an all boys Catholic prep school. Voted for W. Weeks later wrote a scholarship essay for University of Miami about how it didn't matter which of them ended up president. Did not get the scholarship.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

SHOCKER: N.C. had a polling fuckup in Sampson County.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

So the election cost you a scholarship? Fucking elections.

HanSenSE, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.