1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hard to believe my last on-air election was 1988. Watched from the toy department as the newsroom flailed around on deadline at the Durham Herald-Sun in 1992 and Rocky Mount Telegram in 1996. Was at Total Sports in 2000, Turner Sports for 2004, 2008 and 2012. And under house arrest for 2016. :)

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So you and I were the two Anderson voters!

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Great topic @maumann

First vote 1992, in college. I was not very politically engaged. Voted Clinton but was very close to voting Perot because he seemed like such an outsider. But if I’m honest, I was likely more influenced by Dana Carvey’s SNL Perot than the actual man.

Clinton again in 1996. Still not super engaged but out of college and things were going well.

Got politically engaged for good during the Clinton impeachment and 2000 Gore v. Bush.

gingerbread and maumann like this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love those yearly compilations!!

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was in news in 2000 and that was the longest shift I've ever worked.

Those broadcasts were such shitshows. Watched a few of them during the lockdown(s) and the CNN coverage was so not good.

maumann likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m convinced the low stakes of the 1990s convinced us all to view elections like rooting for teams in sports. After all, we thought to ourselves, it doesn’t really matter.

It’s turned out horribly.

I was watching a 2000 debate and our biggest problem was trying to figure out what to do with our surplus.

It seems like another planet altogether.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I voted absentee for McGovern in 1972. Yes, I was the guy who voted for him. I also voted for Jack Kemp as my congressman.

First election I remember was 1960.

gingerbread and maumann like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I expect a Biden win. Ultimately I think he wins based on Trump’s poor to nonexistent management of the pandemic.

If Trump wins - I’d be shocked - it’d be a combination of people feeling way better about Trump’s work in the pandemic than I do and Biden’s relatively uninspiring campaign.

It would also be the end of polls. Or at least it should.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was in college in '92, so I voted Clinton by absentee ballot a couple of weeks earlier. I do remember feeling kinda grown up when I put it in the mailbox. Watched some of the results come in and was pretty excited. My friends were like, meh, about it all.

First presidential election I remember was in '84. I've told this story on here before, but my sixth-grade class did a mock election, and Reagan beat Mondale by like a 20-6 vote or something. One guy voted for Communist Party candidate Gus Hall, and took some ribbing for it.

Went with my Mom for her to vote at our local firehouse, and, watching the results later, as the red wave hit, she was like, "turn it off and go to bed. I'm tired of seeing all this red."

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Does 538 exist in 2024 if Trump wins again?

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My first presidential election was 1984, I not only voted for Mondale I worked on his campaign. Was beyond thrilled that there was a woman on the ticket. We know how that turned out. My first election was '81. I went to the polls with my dad He said Republican, so I said Republican. That means my first vote was actually in a primary. It did not take me long to become a Democrat.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

were you also a spy?
    An uncover agent for the Eff Bee Eye.
    Who’d been sent down there to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.