1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I saw the polls, and liked what I saw... but I trusted none of it. The post mortem on this election's polls should be interesting.

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Solo, the only issue I have with your post is the info out there indicates Biden has done worse than expected. The polls are so off, how can you be sure of anything?

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Looking at the numbers we have from Minnesota, Trump is getting his butt kicked in Hennepin Co. (Minneapolis) by 320,000 votes. Exactly nothing from Ramsey County (St. Paul) has been released, and Trump has declined by a significant margin in the outer ring suburbs. I don't really know if the rural Minnesota vote is or isn't enough to overcome that, but it seems fairly consistent with the conventional wisdom here, which was 5-10 points for Biden.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As Mae West never said, fasten your seatbelt, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

EDIT: H/T to Elliotte.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

D_B said it as well, two minutes ago.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not reading to concede defeat on All of Polldom just yet. If the upper Midwest pulls a 2016, then yes, public polling is dead forever. But if it doesn't, then the miss wasn't that bad.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Fair enough all the way around, but:

I realize what 538 does, but I do think their ass is on the line here a little bit. Silver rose to prominence because he got them right... ALL of them right. They can say "look, it's just odds. 1/3 of the time, Trump wins in '16. 1/10 of the time he wins in 2020." But if it comes up Trump both times, do you really take their averages seriously next time?

I realize we're actually talking about polling here, but if the polling is no longer accurate, what good does it do to analize it?

If a field goal kicker tells you, "Ok, I have a 2/3 shot of making that 50 yarder, and a 90% shot of making the 25 yarder." He shanks both. Are you saying "Well, shit, he did tell us there was a chance he'd miss. Guess it's just bad luck." Or are you saying "Maybe we need to reevalute our field goal kicking."

BTExpress likes this.
  9. Elliotte Friedman

Rick, even pollsters are saying they did terrible

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Cornyn's an asshole. Cruz is a bloated, inflamed, hairy, hemorrhoidal asshole with dingleberrys.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fox has called Arizona for Biden.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. Elliotte Friedman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.