1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And somehow Florida approved a $15 an hour minimum wage.

2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Something I haven’t seen mentioned enough is how it’s really, *really* hard to defeat incumbent presidents. The last few times it’s happened have taken generationally-talented challengers in Clinton and Reagan (before that, you really have to go back to FDR). Biden certainly wasn’t that, but Trump has been such a dumpster fire that he blew what at the beginning of this year was supposed to be a layup for him.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too soon to start the President Biden thread?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Truth? I don't think that the Dems bothered to understand that "Latinx" is not a valid political sub-group. Far more diverse than that.

champ_kind likes this.
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Jesus, yes. Wait until he's inaugurated.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to say Trump is an abberation, there is no one else in or out of politics in America who can generate the kind of "energy" he does among the base, but then again - the Ds seemed to get the turnout they sought and lost seats in the House and don't look to be taking the Senate. Obviously I think it's time the Dems retired about a third of their caucus (once redistricting is settled) - but I also think they can't wait for an Obama or Clinton to come along every 20 years or so and save their bacon.

wicked likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

It's extra hard if the incumbent holds rallies on the White House lawn.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As it relates to what? Helping the country? When's the last time that happened with any great regularity from that party?

As it relates to winning big in 2022 and 2024? Very little. Just keep this course. Trump loses this election 270-268? His team, secretly, is going to look at each other and go "Better than we thought." After two years are spent thundering away at the Democrats in the House, the GOP will be poised to get that back in 2022.

I don't think the Democratic Party can be run out of media outlets or academia - or some relentless symbiotic loop of the two - and hope to gain greater trust. If that was going to work, the shittiest year in recent memory would have made that work. It didn't work. The party - and the elite members in it - need to calm down and present a message that's a little more hands-off and guilt-free.

This election is perhaps more of a warning than the last one because 4 years, half of America - including a seemingly increasing number of non-white voters - wanted four more out of sheer distaste for the alternative. That ought to say something very concerning to the alternative, even if the alternative wins.

9. Neutral Corner

Incoming morning after tweet wave. I'll try to spread it out a bit and not overrun the board.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Hot take alert: As disappointed as I am with the final result, I'm kind of comforted to see that the McGrath and Harrison losses prove that an election can't simply be purchased. Winning hearts and minds is harder, but that's what democracy is supposed to be.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Tommy Tuberville is scum.

12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.