1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

After doing some more thinking ...

We're as divided as a country right now as any time since 1865, but it's not as simplistic as we'd like. It's definitely not just red state-blue state or city mouse-country mouse.

Yesterday's results show there are as many Trumpists in Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania as there are Biden supporters in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Texas. And to be honest, there will be more Californians opting for Trump than probably any other state in the country, just because of the sheer volume of voters there.

And "Latinxs are not one bloc" doesn't really explain the outlier that is Dade County, which is also a third Black and a third white.

Someone on 538 this morning said it's like we just had 51 separate Presidential elections, but it's not even that easy to define. How have we gotten to the point where a majority of the people who live in the next county over have such disparate views of where we are and where we want to be?

We're now a country of 80 million enclaves surrounded and abuted by 80 million others.

And I completely agree with the assessment that the next "Trump" could be way more sinister than we can even imagine. If there is a "decline and fall of the American Empire," we may be witnessing it first-hand.

It's a war on civility and we're rapidly heading for a no-win situation.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Watch that first step, it's a doozy!

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

you try finding a hole punched with an awl into an animal pelt and see how well you fare

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So can we take this as real?

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Certainly. But it's hard to fix a problem without any tools.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Obviously not up on my Maine politics. What is the likelihood of that?

TowelWaver likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sounds like there's nothing more to do, and I've seen quotes that even Scott Walker and Sean Duffy were down on the usefulness of a recount. Margin is roughly similar to 2016, just in the other direction. Says something about the micro-ness of elections. Total swing was barely half the capacity of one Lambeau Field game.

maumann and poindexter like this.
  8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

DEMS IN DISARRAY

Yet, somehow, Dems have won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections and the Electoral College, that isn't weighted in their favor, 5 of the last 8 elections.

No party has ever won the popular vote like that, and the closest comparable run is FDR to JFK where Dems won 6 of 8 popular/EC elections.

But DEMS IN DISARRAY and DEMS NEED TO CHANGE is a dumb narrative frame.

It assumes Republicans are irredeemable vandals while the Democrats have to be the grown-ups in the room and solve the problems the Republicans created.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

So if I'm doing the math right, either Michigan or Georgia for Biden is ballgame (assuming Nevada doesn't go squirrelly). Both states' election officials are now saying they can have something close to official by the end of the day.

qtlaw and maumann like this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Meh. Like, Trump's brand of "awful racist" isn't unique in the grand scheme of American politics. I think what's unique is his carny-like ability to bring a whole bunch of people to the ballot box that wouldn't normally vote. That's why when people in this thread are like, "Oh Tom Cotton will just be Trump 2.0," my reaction is to shrug. Cotton is a conventional politician. If you're looking for the "next Trump," the real comparison would be like Tito Ortiz, who won a Huntington Beach council seat.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I want to see the demographics and stats. I'm wondering about the Black vote. Black women have been a solid bloc for the D's for years, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Black men didn't vote in numbers. In the age of BLM it isn't enough to get in the streets and raise hell. If you want real, lasting change you have to push for it at the ballot box, because old white people who don't think that systemic injustice even exists are *going* to vote, and they're going to vote for their comfort zone.

I wouldn't dare say this on Twitter for fear of shit-slinging monkeys calling me a racist, but I feel I can at least advance the theory here. As I said, I'll be very interested in what the turnout numbers show. While it isn't realistic to expect Obama style numbers, Trump's blatant racism should have been a big motivator. I dunno, I know I'm shooting from the hip here, and that there are lots of Black votes in Pa, Mich, etc. but I'm very curious about Florida in particular.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There was just an update. Collins is below 50 with 71 percent in.

qtlaw and Neutral Corner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.