1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

*break*

TigerVols likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

She might be old and sick, but she got to see all the cool bands.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm only 70% sure I voted the way I wanted to on all the california ballot initiatives, and 100% sure now I don't even remember which way that was.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm telling ya more Democrats have to learn to own it more than they/we do. (I'm registered Independent.) The last two years have been an embarrassment for the party, impeachment especially, but including Biden laying on the ropes for months, throwing few punches and generating little of his enthusiasm, on the notion that, if you just push "Trump bad! I'm good!" enough, you'll get all the votes you need.

Again: It's. Not. Working. The Democrats should have rolled based on Trump's sheer incompetence with the coronavirus. (And he didn't handle it well.) Not only did that not happen - I kind of expected it would - but there's an unlikely scenario where Trump wins and the GOP keeps the Senate.

It's a major, major warning. The party didn't differentiate itself. It's possible that a hard shift left does make that happen, but I don't personally envision that.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

If this holds and it's Biden the best two things are, even with turtle man still corrupting the Senate, a cohesive national plan to attack Covid-19 and Barr out of DOJ.

6. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just checked the CA prop results and don't remember how I voted or what they were about on several of them

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That venue is State Farm (nee Philips) Arena. Surely this can be blamed on the Hawks.

This is a very good question. I think the answer is multi-part.

1. The economy was really in the shitter in fall 2008. It is, surprisingly, not, for many people, right now (or if it is, it can be easily traced to an outside factor). It really is the economy, stupid.
    2. The Presidency is much more likely to shift parties after eight years than four just due to fatigue.
    3. The Obama Administration vastly accelerated what is an international trend toward city/left, rural/right. The Electoral College specifically increases the weight of rural votes.
    4. Obama was a particularly unique candidate. The whole "first Black president" thing is a huge selling card that I think could make at least some voters feel uniquely proud of their choice.
    5. And as far as 2012, I think that and this is a very good illustration of the incumbency advantage.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Voting yes meant she dies. Or maybe it was no and she dies.

RickStain likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If I'm President Elect Biden, I roll out my Cabinet and name each and every one of them as Permanent Acting Secretary of whatever and tell Mitch to stick his cabinet confirmation hearings up his ass.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Colorful. Lots. Of. Colors.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it gets to 306, that soothes it a little. That'd be nice.

But I'm not sure there's been a president who ever had a more fruitless, contentious, ultimately annoying four years, and he put a charge into winning this thing.

The way to read Fox News is: Holy shit, we got a good two years coming up here. Every GOP operative on the planet woke up knowing they're going make a lot of money in these next two years, being able to pitch Senate and House races on the promise of a Bowe-Holyfield II in 2024.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is so completely, utterly wrong.

The people who voted for Trump got exactly what they wanted out of the four years. Judicial appointments for more restrictive abortions. No loss of guns. And lots of fuck yous to minorities and libtards and intellectuals. So they voted for him again. And picked up a few votes along the way.

wicked and Fred siegle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.