1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

That's so, so terrible. Damn it.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

So awful.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I saw yesterday that the kid died. Terrible for the family, but I'll bet Parson is elected today.

I voted for Galloway, but I fear the Democrats fucked her by running her this time. She would have been better served to win a term or two in the state legislature, then make a play for governor or Congress. As is, if she loses as I suspect, her political career would appear to be over.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Terrible news; hate to advocate for publicity but people need to hear this rather than “he’s playing in 5days”

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was led to believe the disease was disappearing yesterday. Is that not the case?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It seems to be waiting on Nevada's count.

How the hell is it worse now than it was in April? I have questions I'd like to ask 68 million or so people.

OscarMadison, wicked and Driftwood like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s not worse. We have no idea how many people had it back then. A lot. Well I think it’s likely that the disease mutated, as well, we just didn’t have the testing capability back then to know exactly how many cases we had.

I’d wager we have far more cases at the moment too.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Um ....

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Unless you’re in the “the disease was a lesser Ebola” camp in the spring, the run of death rates in the NE and IL and MI indicates a lot more cases than we knew of.

I’m guessing there are thousands of asymptomatic folks out there not getting tested because they don’t they have it. Like kids.

Justin, if we got tested this well for everything, we’d have a lot more cases of everything.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Alma, only if tests spread the virus.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is a lot more testing. Here in Massachusetts over 100,000 people got tested on Tuesday. But the positive rate on tests, which once was around 1 percent has been as high as 6 percent in the last week. This means the virus is spreading, not that testing is the reason the case load is increasing. If you increase testing of the general population, the positive rate should go down, because most people still don't have the damn thing.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted