1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

All the election workers stopped to look at Russia from their front porch.

You can only count votes two at a time wearing mittens.

HanSenSE and Fred siegle like this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought that Arizona was announcing at 7:30 pacific?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I didn't.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Could I get the English version of that please?
    Good Heavens.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They resumed counting at 7:30 this morning.

No new numbers until 7pm.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

NYT says announcement by 6p.m. tonight. Are you thinking of Georgia?

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, I have “fat fingers” at times!

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You're right. I shouldn't have called out individual poll workers. I got caught up in frustration and trying to be funny. I apologize to you and your parents and thank them for what they're doing.

I am legit afraid of what happens if this drags on. I hope your parents are able to stay safe in all this.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eh. Things aren't quite right with some of the states' announcement schedules. But Nevada should resolve that today.

We need to be done with this pretty soon. Get the votes counted in PA, AZ and NV. Get it done.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this was "planned chaos." In Oregon we've done vote by mail for 20 years with complete results usually within a couple of hours (for the tightest races). Election workers process the ballots ahead of election day as they arrive - verify signatures etc. - then press "GO" on the counting machine at 8 p.m. when polls close. Many of these states were barred by their state legislatures from doing similarly. For whatever reason - I think as evidenced by Trump's really strong closing push for votes in the final days - the idea was to have initial in-person/Election Day ballots counted first that would likely support Trump and then push the earlier ballots into a court fight.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought this was an interesting way to look at polling. And from an unusual source.

"It’s kind of like taking a bunch of runners and using push-ups to predict how good of a runner they are, and then extrapolating out for all runners. You are only getting the runners who want to do push-ups and want to have you watch. That’s not all runners. It’s a small minority. And of course all the patterns would be the same, because your sample population is alike in that they all want to do push-ups for you!"

The Simple Reason That 2020 Polls Were So Wrong | The Growth Equation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.