1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And the Dems are gonna do all that with a GOP-controlled Senate!

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As is usually the case for groundbreaking women. Alas.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm telling you because I feel like I know enough folks embedded on both sides: The GOP woke up this morning feeling pretty damn good. Voters largely - not entirely, but largely - separated Trump from the Republican pols running down ballot. Think for a minute what has dominated the GOP for the last four years. Trump. The implication of that is that affiliating with Trump didn't hurt 'em that much because voters judged Trump's character. They decided he was the dominant problem in American discourse.

What that isn't, is a mandate for the Democrats.

And of course the Democrats expected to roll Tuesday night. They didn't. They probably won't flip the Senate. They lost statehouses. They'll lose House seats. Now, since the Democratic Party does not really coalesce around Joe Biden, but a kind of political vision, the vision has to be appealing. its vision has to appealing. The vision, as seen throughout the Democratic primaries from just about candidate but Biden and maybe Mayor Pete, coalesces around the miserable notion that America is a ideological shithouse of hideous racists/sexists/xenophobes who destroy the earth, kill people, like the wrong sports and must be held to account in the decades of moral reeducation.

Trump is so bad folks pulled the lever for Biden anyway. The Democratic vision is so miserable it three-putted from ten feet on just about everything else.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who watched this fucking thing a half-dozen times before realizing it never hits the pole?

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been posted in the past 100 pages or so, but this is the most 2020 moment of many 2020 moments. No way the election was going to be decisive. What else would you expect in 2020?

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

CAN'T ANYBODY HERE PLAY THIS GAME?! LOL

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ll really be thinking about this on January 20th.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're not all wrong, but a lot of the losses were erased 2018 gains in traditionally Republican districts due to increased turnout driven by Trump, South Florida seats being the exception. Except (a big except I admit) for Collins, the Republican Senate holds were in places like Iowa, the Carolinas and Texas, where the victors got pretty close to Trump's vote share. The one exception there was Montana, where Steve Bullock ran five points ahead of Biden. So, like all national elections, there's a mixed bag element to this we must take into account.

Webster, TowelWaver and sgreenwell like this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Or - Trump is an outlier who managed to broaden the R tent with his Pied Piper-like ability to get people to believe his bullshit for the past 50 years. If the Republican Party attempts to do Trump without Trump, they'll get stomped in a General Election like they did in 2018.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No.

Like feeling a sneeze coming on that never hits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.