1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In July we thought we were only picking up 1 case for every 10 true infected. Let's say we have that down to 4:1 now through improved testing, even thought I doubt we've actually gotten in that low. Lots of states still aren't doing anywhere near the testing they need. We're averaging 107k cases per day over the last 7 days.

That would mean we're getting 0.13% of the US population infected every single day. Just a little shy of 1% per week. And growing. We're going to burn this thing out before a vaccine gets here just by having literally everyone infected.

I'm not even joking. For the US at least, I don't think a vaccine even matters at this point. We're going to reach maximum infection and endemic equilibrium before one could be mass-administered.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Most important question. Yeah, a handful of little bass.

OscarMadison, Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That’s pretty close to what I’ve been saying. Now that we’re up to 100K new cases per day, that’s probably more like a million per day, which means 90 million who have had it. So at the current rate of daily cases, we’ll be done with COVID in 8 months. But the losses of lives will be devastating.

OscarMadison and RickStain like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Douchebag.

SFIND and Spartan Squad like this.
  7. RickStain

At this point, the herd immunity motherfuckers have *won*, whether they were right or not. That's what's going to happen. We can argue until we're blue in the face that we should lockdown everything and get it down to levels where test-and-trace quarantines could eradicate it, it's not going to happen. All we can do is slow the spread enough to try to protect hospital capacity and isolate the most vulnerable if we can.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Take care. This stuff is nasty.

9. RickStain

If you take some basic assumptions that I think are on the conservative side (~22% of the US already infected, catching 20% of infections with current testing levels, an RT of 1.15 nationwide, serial interval of 5 days) we are on pace to reach 50% of the country infected by New Year's Day.

Of course, we could slow down the transmission rate, but that involves behavior change or population immunity. I don't think we're gonna see much behavior change, if anything it's gonna get worse. Even liberals have mostly reached the "we're gonna do everything we always did but with a mask" stage. So all that's left is finding out just how much population immunity slows it down.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I wish I could argue, but it's hard to argue with math. Scares hell out of me, because my wife has zero immunity to stuff that attacks her mucous membranes. Her IgA is near non-existent.

One of our best friends spiked a bad fever yesterday and and is having belly issues. Hoping it's just a stomach bug.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Legitimately, the only way the economy fully recovers is if the pandemic is under control. Why would anyone argue with the science on this? What we are doing right now is not working.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Notre Dame getting serious about covid.

Draft saved Draft deleted