1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

There is a way, slim chance but still, to take the senate without wins in Georgia. Give a Republican senator in a state with a democratic governor a cabinet position in an area they are interested in (somebody already mentioned toomey), especially if that senator faces a tough road in his next election. And convince Romney to change parties. Romney is already persona non grata with the republicans in the senate. Tell him you’ll give him key spots on committees if he switches. Tell him he’ll have a lot of power. Even let him switch to independent but caucus with the Ds.
    Play politics with good old fashioned negotiations.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I have an extremely hard time believing any republican is going to accept a position that will give up control of the Senate. The list of them willing to turn and shoot a big FU to the GOP has to be extremely small.

And looking at 2022, the following GOP senators up for re-election in states where a Dem gov could appoint is as follows:

Kansas -- Jerry Moran
    Kentucky – Rand Paul
    North Carolina – Richard Burr
    Pennsylvania -- Toomey

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As someone with a very slight acquaintance with Romney, let me say he will never leave the Republicans. It's a rock solid part of his identity. Don't forget, his Dad was a GOP pariah too, for general liberalism in the '60s. Romney's no liberal in any way, but he'll play his lone hand. Being ACTUALLY very rich breeds confidence.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Warnock and Ossoff could ask no greater favor than to have Trump running around the country soaking up GOP money and constantly reminding people what an asshole he is while they go around Georgia saying, "I stand with the next President, Joe Biden. Where does my opponent stand?" I mean, I don't think they'll win, but every day Trump pulls this shit is a good day for them.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My wife keeps on with the doomsday scenarios of faithless electors.... people getting bribed or GOP state legislatures just going rogue.
    I keep telling her if that happens, it won't matter. We won't have a country left. This isn't 1820 where you really don't know what goes on more than a few miles away from your house. The entire planet knows the results of the election, so for someone or a group to just change a result would be the beginning of the end.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I’ve got a good recipe for that kind of cole slaw dressing, too ...

3 Tbsp rice/white wine vinegar
    2 tsp sugar
    2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

Tighthead and FileNotFound like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Plus Congress has to accept the results. If faithless electors get going, Pelosi will shut it down and there's enough Republican senators who won't let Trump steal it.

9. Michael_ Gee

Contemplating the end of the republic immediately followed by what sure sounds like a tasty cole slaw recipe. That's what this board is all about.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

In 2016, Trump lost by millions. It is the largest negative vote differential for any U.S. presidential election winner. His party lost multiple seats in the House and Senate.

Did any Republican see it as a warning? No. They moved full steam ahead on creating the MAGA/Fox News expanded universe. Did Trump select a Democrat for his cabinet--because you know the many Dems who didn't want him to be president? No. It was f--k your feelings.

Did anyone say "you need to take care of the people who didn't vote for you"? No. It was all about interviewing Billy Redhat at the Qville Diner.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The first time I had a vinegar slaw my life changed. Don't get me wrong, a traditional slaw ala KFC is still remarkable but that vinegar slaw with barbecue was a game changer.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.