1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Trumpanzees taking credit in 5...4...3...2...

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They say they didn’t take government money for the vaccine. And that’s technically true. But how big are the tax breaks they get for R&D?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No clue.

But if your reasoning is what I think it is (and if I am misunderstanding, I apologize). ... that a tax deduction is some sort of gift from the U.S. government that they in turn owe something for. ... I fundamentally disagree.

If Pfizer earns $1, it is something THEY earned. They put up the capital investment, they did the work, THEY earned it.

If you are suggesting that a tax deduction is a gift to them (maybe you aren't?), then what you are saying is that when they earn $1, it's not theirs. Everyone else has a claim to what they earned first (never mind that capital investment and work), and anything they are allowed to keep is a gift they should be grateful for. I find that twisted.

To my mind, anything they hand over to the government -- and this is particularly because so much of what is taxed is redistributed, so what they earned is being given to someone else who didn't earn it -- is the actual gift. Suggesting that a deduction -- which simply compels them to fork over a bit less -- is a gift to them is akin to the mugger who takes all your cash but maybe lets you keep the wallet so you don't have to deal with getting a new driver's license. Yeah, it's a gift, but. ...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    wicked likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not saying either of those things. I’m saying they weren’t taking that big a risk in developing the vaccine.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Won’t matter. The states will refuse the help. And the people therein will refuse to get the vaccine.
    1) States rights and all that.
    2) They prefer a world in which they can complain about restrictions to one in which health is restored.
    3) They want to complicate Biden’s term.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Apologize. I am sensitive to the lines of arguments I was addressing, because I have seen a ridiculous number of people treat a tax deduction like they are talking about a tax evader.

They are taking on risk. If they throw money into R&D, even if they get a tax credit, and it doesn't lead to a marketable product, it's still money down the drain, on top of future earnings they don't realize. Their resources are limited. If they are putting their efforts into things that don't work, it's bad for their company.

I don't know the tax stuff that well with regard to phama and biotech. I know there are a lot of R&D credits, federal and state, but my understanding was that these programs were politicians doing, "We are creating jobs!" crap, and that the companies realize the credits whether they are successful in developing drugs or not. If they don't develop drugs, though, the credit doesn't create earnings for them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I can hear the soon-to-be dearly departed now: "I'll be gone soon, but I head to the grave showing those liburls a thing or two."

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The thing I am most grateful for is we are getting news of a vaccine on the cusp of having people in office who will actually come up with a plan to distribute it. Someone on the politics thread said this was looking at short term results not how effective it was over a month. Is that true? If so, how long before we know those numbers?

In any case, I'll be happy to cling to the hope of this news and not be the downer and shit disturber I've been with certain posters.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is your first good 5-plus paragraph post ever.

In all seriousness, appreciate the intel

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I bet The Big Ragu is rich!

At least he deserves to be!

You cannot argue with this!

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Our HS has another 23 cases and for the third time in-person instruction has been shut down. My 15 year old (who is supposed to attend Mondays and Thursdays) has been in the school building only 7 days so far. Extremely frustrating

Draft saved Draft deleted