1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sort of like the election where Brian Kemp was running for governor while administering the election.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

First of all, please accept my apologies for all the notifications on three-day old posts. I didn't have much time or energy for the board on Saturday (despite the tremendous news, I found myself really down in the dumps mostly because Saturdays are kind of a solo effort for me), and Sunday was the official unofficial Minnesota holiday, "Last Nice Day of the Year." I managed to play nine holes of golf on Nov. 9 at 46.7 degrees North. It was a very good day.

I'm not totally sure McCain would be that geeked about a Democrat winning. That said, he might have liked the meme. He hosted SNL in the early 2000s after the whole Bush primary thing and I remember it being a fairly good episode for a non-actor.

Wisconsin is probably going to be Madison and Milwaukee vs. the sticks for the end of time. That's why the state legislature can so easily fuck them over with gerrymandering. That said, I think the population growth potential for Dane and Milwaukee counties probably beats that of the rural parts of the state.

Your peers didn't love the Tea Party as much as they loved Trump because the Tea Party couldn't do what they love Trump for so much: punish their enemies, which is one of the few things Trump was good at as president.

So, have we decided we're going with the teeth as the thing for Biden we're going to blow up in caricatures? Also, this looks like we elected Tim Conway?

As much as I enjoy his unparalleled baseball history acumen, Olbermann has spent most of the last 15 years fancying himself Edward R. Murrow taking down McCarthy. It might have had a 1% chance of working if it weren't for all the horror stories from people who have worked with him.

Doubling back to the "punish his enemies" bit, it never ceases to amaze me how hard the modern right desperately wants to be one of the "cool kids," whether it be some of their truly quixotic attempts at political comedy or their willingness lionize any celebrity on the J-list that has complained about their taxes or held any remotely conservative view. Kind of works that way with the church too, for that matter.

Down the block from the sex toy shop.

I believe it is one of our saving graces that Donald Trump is as much of an idiot as his is. The length and depth of the damage is repairable in the long term.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cuomo says it's 'bad news' that Pfizer coronavirus vaccine progress came during Trump administration

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said it is great that Pfizer has had a breakthrough in clinical trials, but having it happen during the Trump administration is a problem. Of course, Republicans start trashing him for suggesting it could be anything but great. I wonder for a moment if Cuomo was stupid enough to say the problem was that the timing was a problem because President Trump would take credit for it. That isn't what he said. He said that it was a problem because he didn't trust the current administration to distribute a vaccine properly given how badly they fucked up everything else with COVID.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This particular zit will get popped good after the actual regime change-- this is far far too far down the food chain to rank for one of Fatfuck's golden pardons, and you can bet Team Joe will be ready to drop bombs on any mid level factotums who try to fuck up the transition.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Insufficient suckup.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

In news that I funny and sad. One of two conservative radio stations in my market has taken down all references to the election from its social media channels.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Also, I think there was some discussion of how the Dems regained Michigan. It was Grand Rapids.

The western part of the Lower Peninsula has been known for decades as being chock-full of hard-right Dutch Reformed types (and in fact, their new Congressman, replacing the uber-libertarian Justin Amash, is a member of the Meijer family). But in 2020, Kent County went blue by about 21,000 votes. Trump carried it over Hillary by 9,500 votes, so there's a 30,000-vote swing right there. Romney beat Obama there by more than 20K, and George W. Bush was more than 65,000 votes ahead of John Kerry there in 2004.

If Grand Rapids is permanently light blue or even competitive, the Dems have more than enough votes in Detroit and Lansing to make up for what they're losing in rural areas.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, hell, if we're going for nerd points, I'm in. Try this as a double dip, obscure Star Trek reference tied to obscure language trivia.

"Amok Time" was the first show of Star Trek's second season. Written by SF writer Theodore Sturgeon, it featured Spock in heat and the first appearance of Chekov.

TowelWaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.