1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am now convinced it will come to blood. Trump's people won't be happy until their perceived enemies (every American but them) is dead. Every American but them is likely to object. We will be Northern Ireland, and I won't live long enough to see the end of our Troubles.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

If people say Philadelphia is the reason Biden won Pa. they are wrong. Hillary got a bigger percentage of votes in Philadelphia County than Biden. Trump actually got 3 percent more votes in Philadelphia County this time than he did in 2016.

Philly suburban counties, yes. that's where Biden picked up votes. Also Allegheny (Pittsburgh) had a larger share for Biden than for Clinton.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I will arm myself if it comes to this.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol

Still, we’ve all seen Trump wriggle out of approximately a billion other defeats and scandals. He’s exposed the weakness of our democratic institutions, revealing just how useless they are in the face of his norm-breaking assaults. So it feels somehow naive to believe that his loss at the ballot box will translate into his loss of an actual job. It feels smart to consider that he might have a secret plan to retain that job, despite being voted out of it. Trump is the Michael Myers of our politics: He can’t be defeated, because the horror movie franchise makes too much money to ever end.

And yet, despite all this, I have gone to bed every night since Friday confident that President-elect Biden will become President Biden. I’ve come to this peace over the objection of my amygdala, which is the part of the brain that screams in fear and anxiety and tries to overpower rational thought. Here’s what I tell myself in order to help me sleep at night. Perhaps these are conversations others can have to achieve my level of forced serenity. (Amygdala in bold italics.)​

Trump Is Trying to Overturn the Election, but I’m Not Panicking—Yet

TowelWaver likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol so does Hanlon's Razor have chunks of Occom's Razor in its stool?

Why would the Trump people be pushing these lawsuits if there was no chance for them to change the outcome?

Because Trump people are dumb? Hanlon’s Razor tells us: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”​

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Biden defanged Pompeo today by disclosing he's already spoken to the leaders of our historical allies. They know who will be in charge. I hope pretty shortly any calls Pompeo or his stooge ambassadors make to NATO leaders simply won't be returned.

maumann, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You can't make this up.

Wait, yes you can!

maumann, TowelWaver and garrow like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Very good people on both sides.

HanSenSE and Jerry-atric like this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

At the moment, I'm mostly pretty sure that Trump cannot actually will an electoral certification crisis into existence and effective declare himself president through coup.

But that's not something where "mostly pretty sure" is all that reassuring.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You’re overthinking this. Trump lost. They fucking cheated. That’s it. Don’t dive into substance.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No reason that they can't be both malicious and dumb. In fact, the evidence heavily suggests it.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

There will be blood. I've been saying this all along. It's going to come to a head with one of these militia groups that is so pro-Trump they've lost side of everything else, there will be an incident. There will be bloodshed and probably deaths. And at the point that Americans are killing other Americans in our streets, then you're going to see the Republicans back off. Their power is worthless if there's urban warfare in America, and the stock market crashes and there's no pretense of a government. Because if they don't back off at the point that there's bloodshed, the country is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.