1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Stay strong.

Emergency services called me to work on their contract tracing unit. This is significant because I am on the Misfit Toys list due to my age and risk category. (Had to pass, as much as I want to help.) So the spread has gotten so bad they're calling everyone now.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Our Deputy Dipshit governor is too busy signing proclamations in support of Trump's claims to worry about COVID. This, after the shambles of the White House said our state needed to do something.
    Our school board literally got a waiver from the state to declare teachers critical infrastructure and that we know we can't socially distance students, but that's OK. Teachers who test positive but don't show symptoms, come yourself to work.
    I got lucky when I got tested because my doctor is a family friend, and she got me in that day.
    Another teacher at my school literally got hung up on when he called about getting tested after positive exposure. "We don't test teachers." Click.
    Yesterday, we had two teachers (married couple) sent home because they started having symptoms. They called the health department and couldn't get tested. They called their doctor and were told they had to make an appointment. They were told to go to CVS, but CVS was full yesterday so they have to go back today. Oh, and they were told by CVS to be prepared to swab themselves.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I usually go to a friend's house on Thanksgiving Eve for a friendsgiving, a gathering that has dwindled a bit in recent years from a high of 15 to around seven or eight. Most of the time is spent in said friend's backyard, even if it's cold, because they have a killer fire pit setup. Then, we would go the next day to another friend's house for actually Thanksgiving dinner, where there's usually at least 20-25 people.

Waffling on the friendsgiving thing, which may be relatively safe. I can't in good conscience stick around for the actual Turkey Day one, which from what I'm told is still on. I may end up bagging the whole thing altogether. It's a two-hour drive, it's not like I have plane tickets or anything. I can literally make a decision the day of if I need to. I'm just going to follow the numbers, but I suspect they're only going to get worse between now and Nov. 25.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are talking about a small gathering of people, from different places, at a time that a highly contagious virus is spreading unabated. If people do those kinds of gatherings, it is a near certainty that the behavior is going to feed infection rates.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

He did say it is outdoors.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I'm probably going to punt, and to be fair, I would be the only one from a different place at the friendsgiving. The others all live in the same city and run in the same small social circle.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

for a virus you can't catch anywhere, it sure seems to be spreading fast

SFIND and Mngwa like this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We've decided to skip Thanksgiving with both families. We may get catering from a restaurant to kind of make it different and notable.

My wife's family is huge and of course one of her brothers and his family decided it was a good time to visit, cheap flights and all. It would be the prototype for one of those family gathering spreading events. To their credit, I guess, they aren't doing a huge event. But they are allegedly getting together in smaller groups, which I don't think is any better because of you know, the lack of degrees of separation. There's that FB meme going around about living life and the holidays because you never know if it's going to be your last, and I can't help but think, what if your family gathering is what made it the last holiday you or your loved ones have?

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think many realize things suck with this thing right now and there isn't much end in sight. But I can't believe how much we've glossed over the fact that as a country we are basically flat at a 1,000 deaths a day and have been since the summer spike ended. One thousand. A day. And it's getting worse again. How this isn't just unfathomable and unacceptable to leaders and citizens and everyone else is amazing. The argument over and over to so many is it's just cases and most survive. How is that death number not flat shocking to all? And it doesn't even count what many survivors may have to live with for the rest of their lives.

John and SFIND like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Who has stated this, my friend?

Draft saved Draft deleted