1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ffs

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

How does he know he actually had the flu, though? I honestly don't know if I ever have. There is one time I think I had it, but who knows. Anyway, this don't get tested argument or whatever is nonsense. You should know if you have it at the very least to try and protect everyone else around you let alone if you need further medical care. But this don't get tested crap if you feel bad stay home (and of course you should stay home anytime you are sick), that doesn't work with almost anything. What if you got sick with something common but could be serious if you don't take care of it, like, strep throat? You don't know if you have it until you get tested and that is super treatable. All these arguments against knowing about this and while the world is trying to fight it are so crazy.

SFIND and Driftwood like this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't want to take satisfaction in this much, but I know a guy who a couple of months ago asked a group of us if any of us even knew someone who has had it. I've lost count of how many people I know who have had it and at the time my sister-in-law, who has since recovered, was just about hospitalized with it. So I was like, yeah. Guess who has it now? I hope he gets well soon, but it's that previous attitude that obviously still has us so deep in this.

SFIND, sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys do understand you are debating Clay Travis points. I mean, I know that is a message board - but you are debating Clay Travis idiotpoints.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

More than 2,000 Arkansans tested positive in the past 24 hours.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Why in the f*** are they getting tested? Clay Travis says let's stop.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There should be only one priority at every level of government right now: Get this fucking thing under control.

It's the prerequisite for fixing every other problem. The economy won't recover until it's under control. Events won't happen until it's under control. Schools can't fully re-open until it's under control.

How are we this dim as a country?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with my 21-year-old son. He lives halfway across the country and works in a restaurant. His roommate tested positive late last week. The SOONEST he could get in for a test was today. He should have his results on Monday, by which time he will already have missed 10 days of work. If he tests positive, that’s another 10-14 days of unpaid time.

My girlfriend is a former smoker and overweight. If she gets this, she’s dead. Full stop.

Two close friends have been hospitalized in recent weeks. They’re both home now, but recovering slowly. One was sent home with oxygen. He’s pretty sure they just needed to clear him out to make room for somebody else.

Another friend of a friend — a guy I knew, but not very well — died two weeks ago. 51 and otherwise healthy.

So I say this to the Clay Travis types, and anybody else who thinks this is anything other than the worst disaster with which any of us has been faced in our lifetimes, in as clear and unambiguous tone as possible: Fuck. Off.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's an individual behavior thing, as far as I am concerned, not a government thing. The government can't (and shouldn't be) making people avoid gatherings, wear masks when they have to be around others, wash their hands, and generally stay at home except for important things that require them to go out. People should do those things because it is smart; in their interest. Not because the gvernment is doing anything.

This has been clear for months. ... and at the individual level, people have not taken this thing seriously, and infection rates reflect it. The government can't make people take it seriously, and unfortunately, even if 50 or 60 or 75 percent of people are being conscientious, the ones who aren't do enough damage to affect that majority of people who are taking it seriously.

Even with the current whitehouse clown show setting the wrong tone from the top, people could have been tuning them out and making the right choices for themselves for the last half year. The responsibility for the people who haven't made those choices falls on those individuals, not the government.

wicked, 2muchcoffeeman and Cosmo like this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

But the governmental attitude validates and legitimizes the irresponsible behavior. I agree that it should be an individual decision, but some individuals need a prod. Legitimizing idiocy has been a major contributor to our current disaster.

Mngwa and SFIND like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted