1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Moderna out with interim results and saying its vaccine is 94.5 percent effective. That is as good as a vaccine can do. Calling it a "game changer."

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Moderna's vaccine does not need to be stored at super cold temperatures. Obviously that's an enormous aid to mass distribution.

3. The Big Ragu

Unfortunately, I don't think that is true. The mechanism is similar to the Pfizer vaccine -- messenger RNA. I believe it needs to be stored at sub zero temperatures.

EDIT: I just was reading about it. One thing is that Moderna was expecting the vials to last only 7 days refrigerated. It looks like it is more stable than they expected and can be kept refrigerated for up to 30 days.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  4. The Big Ragu

The way around that, btw, might be a powdered formulation. I know Pfizer was already working on it. I don't know about Moderna.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

The two thoughts are not that far apart. With all the talk about wishing people dead and the shaming of it, I think it's a bit of self defense kicking in. People out there actively spreading a virus and some of the reaction is going to be wishing that person got a bit of their own medicine.

After all there are a lot of people who wished hitler an early death. Obviously an extreme example but a degree of the same sentiment.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Compounding to COVID making people sick, it doesn't help that the freakin weather is on crack.
    Each of the last three mornings when I've walked the temps have been (in order) 40, 60, 35.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Why is Boris Johnson in quarantine? Do they not know if he can get it again? Is there a chance he can spread the virus even if he can't get it again because of the antibodies? These are important questions that we need answers to.

8. The Big Ragu

@Michael_ Gee I was wrong in what I posted. ... You were right. If I am understanding correctly, it sounds like the Moderna vaccine can be refrigerated at regular (not sub zero) temperatures and will last up to 30 days.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I advocate the demise of anyone who proudly states that he has a killer virus and will continue to spread it just to irritate his political opponents or for any other reason.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That really is a game-changer. And now, potentially, two vaccines. Very encouraging news.

wicked likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, Fauci says still wear masks and social distance --- even after getting vaccine! Is it any wonder people get pissed off at this?

https://nypost.com/2020/11/15/social-distancing-masks-necessary-after-getting-vaccine-fauci/

America will not stand for any post-vaccine restrictions. It just won't. It can barely tolerate pre-vaccine restrictions, for crying out loud.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted