1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Will be worth watching.

Frankly, before COVID when I saw an Asian wearing a mask, I automatically assumed it was because of dangerous air quality (Beijing, etc.). That's a big part of it, as are other reasons, many of which have little to do with germ transmission.

Not Just Coronavirus: Asians Have Worn Face Masks for Decades

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

They often wear them in movies to avoid Godzilla’s “atomic breath.”

3. BTExpress

WHO's being careful?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Make fun of them all you want, but my son reminded me that the Black Plague tore through Europe but the Middle East not so much because Europeans' hygiene paled in comparison to the Muslim's (who washed hands and bathed more regularly.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Vaccine trial participants are due tremendous respect for their sacrifices, imagine you are one of the 15,000 who only get the placebo and you then get COVID. Yikes, you basically volunteered to get infected.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The issue of course is potential long-term impact of the vaccination. But when there's a pandemic knocking I guess there are certain things you have to do without.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Continuing to wear masks even with a vaccine or pray that we are not in the 5 to 6 percent who still gets Covid.

Gee that's a real doozie there ...

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. BTExpress

Exactly how was I "making fun" of them? I always assumed mask wearing was pollution driven --- because many times I saw a photo it was with a story about Beijing air quality --- and linked a story saying there are some other factors as well. That's it.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

We don't know yet if we're changing plans to get together at my mother's home. That's because we've got some family events that have happened in the past year, and more that will be happening in the coming couple of months, that makes the desire to be together stronger than usual, and even actually necessary if we're likely ever to do it again.

But my mom, who usually goes out and buys the largest turkey available in the stores -- I'm not sure we've ever had a turkey that weighed less than 21 pounds -- is waiting to check with everyone in about a week to finalize our Thanksgiving plans for sure.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sweden is trying a new plan

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've got to say, I'm with BTExpress on this. I don't think it's that people "won't stand for" restrictions (or wearing a mask) after a vaccine is readily available and distributed. But people just won't think it's necessary. I'm mean, if I know I've had the vaccine, and that most of the people in our country have had it, and the vaccine is known to work, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be wearing a mask, too, just in case.

Jerry-atric likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted