1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that. She got one COVID denier to change his tune. It's a start.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't know how you do schools. Sure, maybe the kids don't spread it amongst each other, or maybe they do, but it is impossible to keep it out. Our schools have been open for hybrid for not even a month. All three schools my kids go to have had multiple cases. Our middle school had two reported just yesterday. All four city high schools are classified as outbreaks. One was so uncontrolled that they shutdown early. Schools only have so many subs (our district has subs assigned to a school) so if half the teachers get quarantined just by basic rules and exposure, how are they supposed to be open? This doesn't even count bringing it home to family and beyond.

It's so much easier to say, kids should be in school! And I would love for them to be in school. To actually make it work is a whole other story, and for the most part right now that isn't happening. Our district is going back full remote next week, by the way. I don't expect them to be back until at least spring break unless for some reason this just disappears over the freaking winter.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Send them to school, let them get exposed, then give Grandma a big hug at Thanksgiving. Germs are a real thing.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What do we have to do to get people to understand the gravity of COVID? Show a documentary on those dying and in ICU? Like the film COMA?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Donald Trump had made a charitable contribution to a research hospital to fund Sars-Cov-2 lab work, it would have raised red flags?

If that is the case it is only because charitable giving is so out of character for him that people would have wanted to know what the grift is.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I told my boss this when we were chatting a few weeks back, but I have heard stories of the younger kids trading masks while in class. Horrifying.

I want them back in school as much as any one thing in my life other than the ability to travel. That ship sailed six months ago.

We should never have expected any other set of outcomes than the ones we have, given the show of non-leadership.

Many of the small kids will have no memory of this, and I regard that a blessing.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Our kids' district sent out a note begging for people to apply to be subs, which I had never seen before. The high schooler has been home for two weeks, an outbreak forced them into virtual. The second-grader is still in-person but we expect that to end at any moment; just seems farfetched to think that a school district can keep some schools open and some closed.

maumann likes this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's also like there is the assumption that schools haven't tried to be in person. They have. Your story is another example of how it isn't sustainable (our school district too has had schools remote and others not, see the high school outbreak). It's so much easier to say school should be in person for the kids and everyone else -- I too probably want it more than anything -- but just how in the world do you do it at the very least if there is no one to run a classroom?

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I can speak with as much authority on schools and COVID as anyone. Rather than try to individually address some very spot on points, let me just sum up the situation this way:

[​IMG]

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Damn, Geneviève Bujold was such a cutie.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As the parent of a 6th grader and the next-door neighbor to an 11th and 9th grader, it seems like the elementary schools have a better handle on this than the secondary schools. Last week, more than 25 percent of one junior high was out of school due to quarantines. At one high school, around half of the teachers are currently in quarantine.

That hasn't been the case at our elementary school. We've been lucky, I guess. Or parents aren't telling the school if there are close contact positives outside the building.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted