1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He didn't make a donation because he knew he would be inundated with emails begging for more and more and more and more donations.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think younger kids are showing they don't pass it on as easily as everyone else. The older kiddos are more akin to adults in transmission which is where I think some of the problems are coming from in schools.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Strange how every time Trump donates to a charity, within months there's a statue of him on the front lawn, if not the lobby.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Apparently Colorado getting some news here in a little bit. First press conference aired live in a whole too. I'd guess another stay at home order but who really knows.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Adding to the shutdown dial. "Purple." Red is the most extreme, basically a shutdown. Denver and some surrounding counties will move to red, which bans indoor dining, last call at 8 p.m., gyms at 10 percent or 10 people and by reservation only.

Counties can decide where they move on the dial, but if one does it, the state wants it done regionally. Denver, Adams and Arapahoe will go to red, either at 12:30 or later this week. Likely today since Hancock is appearing with Polis.

Other parts of the state might go to red, but at least those three in the Denver metro area will.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

DeWine's big action for Ohio: a curfew.

I'd love to see data suggesting COVID transmission is occurring more at night compared to other times. Seems to me people attend weddings, go to bars and have parties before 10 p.m. right now.

wicked likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing. That was my point.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I do most of my drinking during the day, even going out to some lightly trafficked places. I'm usually in by 9 p.m. at the absolute latest. I asked one of the servers what kind of crowd they were getting after 10 p.m. once Virginia announced restrictions on serving booze after that. She said that there are still a lot of places doing heavy business on Friday and Saturday nights after 10, including her spot. Those nightclub scenes aren't happening at 5 p.m. on Saturday. People are still fairly careful when out and about during the day. Drunk college kids after 10? Not so much.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure it'll help some.

It's also martial law, in essence.

I do believe it expires before the Browns host the Ravens.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver has had this for more than a week, though the mayor has been quick to point out it's not a curfew.

People are tuning him and the governor out, honestly, because they're all over the map and their messaging is confusing.

Honestly, the problem isn't out in public. Everywhere I go, the vast majority of people I see inside public places are wearing a mask. It's people getting together in individual homes and it's more than one or two households. But they can't enforce that.

wicked and SFIND like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here in Mass. Gov. Baker has enacted a "curfew" which actually requires restaurants to stop serving food and alcohol by 9:30. It is enforceable since liquor licenses can get suspended or even pulled for violations. Bars and nightclubs are still closed. He has responded to calls to close indoor dining and gyms by citing gatherings in private homes as the main source of spread. Judging from the size of the frozen Butterballs I saw people taking out of the supermarket this afternoon, he's not wrong. Not being bought for Zoom Thanksgivings.

wicked and SFIND like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ay, there's the rub!

(I know you mean well, governors, but them's the facts)

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted