1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, there's also a shortage of smaller Covid friendly turkeys.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The author makes good points. The strategies he suggests for keeping schools open require alternative and additional classroom space and testing. These things require federal funding, which the Trumpist klan has no interest in delivering. Republicans’ traditional contempt for education, if combined with a determination to torpedo Biden, will prevent this support from arriving.
    This piece makes it clear that schools can’t stay open without federal help. It is not a pure, Trumpist, thoughtless decree that Schools Must Stay Open.
    I remain fascinated by Trumpists’ sudden interest in education.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

In Ohio (and I'd bet it's the same throughout much of the Midwest), there's a good chunk of people who don't wear masks in public. In my outings, I saw the numbers increase slowly through September or October. As much as 50 percent of fans at high school tournament games I covered weren't wearing them.

The rapid increase in cases is attributable to large private gatherings, which have been moving inside in the last month in this part of the country. But the initial infections are (still) happening in public settings.

And if that's the rub, BTE, why is Ohio (or Michigan, or Indiana, or...) posting thousands more cases a day than New York? People aren't getting together at private settings there? It couldn't have anything to do with tougher restrictions issued by Cuomo and more enforcement of mask policies by officials there, could it?

Nah. Ohio must have more fat people.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado presser is over. Good gawd Polis is a dodger. 10-15 counties going to this new "red" phase that will end indoor dining. But he wouldn't say which counties. Or when. Hancock, the mayor, said he "expects" Denver to be one of them.

And this shifting and hemming and hawing is like a parent counting to three without ever getting to three. Either pull the damn trigger or don't.

The leadership on this right now in this state is shakier than cafeteria Jell-O.

wicked likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps not. Or not nearly as often.

NY is a more liberal state than Ohio or Indiana. I suspect its residents by and large are taking more proactive measures, with or without government intervention. Hell, there are tons of NYers on this board. All I hear is "I haven't seen my (insert family member here) in months and don't know when I will." They're making those decisions on their own.

Oh, and because you asked. Yeah, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan are fatter than New York. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't believe it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

SFIND likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

More like a shitshow. That was an unmitigated disaster -- and I told that to someone I know who works in the governor's office. We were texting during the presser and he agreed with me. It was a joke.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Is goat rodeo the PC, popular newscaster way of saying shitshow?! :)

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted