1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You do make a great point about the "hate." I'd say wearing a mask is peanuts compared to the restrictions and various other freedoms we gave up following 9/11. Take off my shoes at the airport? You want my phone data? Well, that's just being patriotic.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Patriot Act continues to be an overt act of war by the government against its people.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Still would not have impacted about half of the Senate, whose genitals have already shriveled up and fallen off.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was just thinking, somebody’s written a COVID Christmas song and is going to make massive bank.

“Grandma Got Run Over By Corona”

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Please put on a mask: but Americans are too fat
    Please restrict activities to essential services: you know Americans don't get enough exercise
    Please keep others in mind and do your best to stop the spread: Americans don't listen to doctors about diabetes prevention

Don't play with matches: but Americans buy too many sneakers
    Don't drink and drive: but Americans have too much credit card debt
    Please cook chicken through: but your car needs an oil change after 5,000 miles and you're waiting until 10,000 miles.

Makes as much sense.

When obesity can be transmitted my sneezing on your neighbor, I'll take you more seriously. Until then, why is it so hard to ask to give a damn about your neighbor?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's NOT about obesity. It really isn't. That's why I included OTHER THINGS we regularly do that go against being as healthy as possible.

Being healthy is HARD. It was before 2020. It's even harder in 2020. It requires not doing things that are fun; it requires doing things that are NOT fun; it requires not doing things that are normal. It's not easy for any society. It's especially difficult for a society that has long been predisposed to just doing whatever it wants. That was my point.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The problem is that most health hazards don’t represent a compounding risk at the population scale.

If 5% of the population is fat, then 5% of the population is fat.

If 5% of the population is reckless toward a severe respiratory plague, then 50% of your population gets a severe respiratory disease

Roscablo and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It was a monoclonal antibody treatment that is now available on an emergency use authorization. I can’t remember if he got the Eli Lilly one or the Regeneron one, but I think they’re both EUA now. We will be able to treat a few hundred thousand people with it over the winter.

They took antibodies from people who had recovered and tested and refined them until they had a mix that looked particularly promising, and then cloned that batch over and over.

The problem is that it’s fairly expensive (although the government is paying for people to get it under the EUA) and it doesn’t pull back people who are already severely sick. It has to be given early in the infection to give your immune system a head start. So all you can do is give it to high-risk people who just started feeling symptoms and hope for the best.

it should save thousands of lives this winter

Draft saved Draft deleted