1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3E004DB1-99F8-40E8-AEFA-25608BBE4FF2.jpeg

maumann and TowelWaver like this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Regarding the “that’s it” referenced above: show your work.
    What keeps the same SCOTUS that shocked the world (and voided precedent) on the Cuomo ruling Wednesday from doing it again and ruling that Trump should be inaugurated as President?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You realize precedence is not the same thing as trial proceedings, right?

What I am saying is appeals and SCOTUS literally cannot consider evidence. They cannot find someone guilty. They cannot find someone liable. They can only, and I repeat they can only rule on matters of law and how other courts have made decisions. SCOTUS in this case can only, and I repeat for the people in the back, only rule if the decision to not allow a late amended complaint was proper. They cannot say the election is invalid because an amended complaint wasn't allowed.

Overturning precedence happens regularly enough but even that was deciding on a matter of law not whether the religious institutions were entitled to compensation.

maumann, Driftwood and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The difference between issuing a controversial decision and issuing one that results in the complete breakdown of the country. The judge who wrote the 3rd Circuit opinion kicking Trump's suit into a pulp was one of his own nominees. I mean, if you're gonna be paranoid, why stop where you are. Why wouldn't five such demented ideologues simply declare themselves the country's absolute rulers and dissolve Congress on their own say-so?

OscarMadison, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

abbott-

You seem too preoccupied with this. How many of his fans do you deal with on a daily basis? Demographics will take care of a lot of these problems. The pubescents now will be of voting age onward and will be likely to remember they had a year of their childhoods deleted.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, considering the brilliance we've seen from Trump's defense team so far, they're banking on being able to present "new" evidence at the next level.

7. heyabbott

The young white children of the Christian trumpsters will grow into their parents’ place. Young doesn’t mean enlightened. Educated doesn’t mean liberal anymore. Predictions of Demographic changes to the electorate have been wrong. The young Reaganites became trumpsters.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

16-year-olds become 18-year-old Democrats (usually). 39-year-olds become 40-year-old conservatives (usually).

If the Democratic base grew every four years by the number of young people turning 18, they would never lose an election.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The paranoia of SCOTUS, a rogue federal judge, or any state legislature ignoring the well-known outcome of the election and declaring Trump to stay in office is just that: paranoia ... and the hope of his minions.
    They would be deciding on the dissolution of the United States of America. They aren't going there to a tinpot wannabe.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  11. heyabbott

They did it before. Bush v Gore. And it’s to the detriment of every living human being on the planet

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Point the second: I agree in principal if not math that I can't personally verify.
    Point the first: That was one state where 500-600 votes determined 20+ electoral votes, not multiple states with hundreds of thousands of votes.
    Plus: SCOTUS didn't declare Bush the victor.

maumann likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.