1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stylebook sez

DEBATE MEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Pearlman writes sports books.

Whitlock makes his living expressing and monetizing the manifestations of his own self loathing.

Whitlock.

BurnsWhenIPee and SFIND like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pearlman by infinity. He is in dire need of meds.

I don't have an issue with what Whitlock wrote about Chappelle.

The SNL monologue really was disjointed. It sounded like Chappelle's heart wasn't really in it.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If you blog about and openly talk about your pooing problems, there's a level of neediness that most of Twitter certainly understands.

I like some of Pearlman's books but there was very little risk in writing them (other than Payton's extracurriculars, I suppose). They were safe bets.

It's not a safe career choice to act like a headcase on social media every day, or it wasn't meant to be one.

Back when I swam daily in Twitter effluvia I would occasionally go after Pearlman's tormentors (nobody deserves that much abuse),
    but the truth is he was inviting a lot of it.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don’t know whether it’s an indication of Mr. Whitlock’s degree of fame or my own lack of hipness but, were it not for SJ.com, I probably would not know of him.

5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Well-Known Member

In an 11-page thread about Jason Whitlock not mattering anymore, much of what he writes and tweets is being discussed. He's a clown but the joke is on us.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He needs the attention. It's like those little $2 bags of food you buy at the petting farm to throw to the critters on the stroll. It doesn't require any effort to make sport of him.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty sure there was a similar Rick Reilly thread a few years back. Some of it is that as readers we remember how good they once were and as writers we hate to see them waste their talent and their platform. Hell, Reilly once used an entire column on the back page of SI discussing how difficult it is to come up with a column. At that point he should have thrown in the towel.

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I'd like to see that.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

cautionary tale

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

simply another platform for just asking questions

Azrael likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By nature, I’m a home-run hitter. It’s time to take another swing for the fences.

You could argue I’m the most accomplished sports journalist in America.

Draft saved Draft deleted