1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Student loan forgiveness - whether or good or bad - doesn't have a damn thing to do with an immediate stimulus bill for the coronavirus. For millions, the student debt just sits there, putting a weight on their credit rating or a weight on mom and dad's credit cards.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

South Dakota has a 43% positive rate on its Covid tests. I would submit that this is evidence that the Governor there isn't handling this intelligently. This should not be a controversial stance, given that her policy is to ignore it until it goes away.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You really don't know many current student-debt holders, do you?

6. Neutral Corner

The Dems put that wish list on McConnell's desk months before the existing Covid measures expired. He refused to take any action whatsoever, whether to negotiate changes in that bill or to offer a Republican counter proposal until ten days before that expiration. Since it was a last minute bill, not something that was intended to be a counter proposal, it was a "take it or leave it" from the majority. At a minimum, this is an "A plague on both their houses" situation, and I don't feel it unreasonable to put more blame on McConnell than anyone. He knew damn well that putting out a partisan bill at the last moment was not an approach intended to get a bipartisan bill done and passed.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

With you passing on the right.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

just trolling the waters

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Philosophically, your right to exercise your freedom extends exactly up to the point at which that exercise begins to injure me, and no further.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, I do. It's called their parents. If you don't think parents pay for their kids' colleges - both in putting money aside and then picking up whatever's left over when the graduate degree kicks in - you're off.

Higher education is a racket. I feel awful for anyone taken by it. But I don't think the student-debt forgiveness solves anything. You wanna strike back at academia? Make them give every person with a certain amount of debt that many free credit hours at any state school they wish. Turn it into education welfare, and watch academia howl then. That's about when you know you've hit the mark.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Our definition of injury is probably different. Especially on one topic in particular.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I've never known anyone whose parents assumed their children's student loan debts. Not when I was done with school and not other people I've met in the many years since. I've known a lot of people that don't pay on their student loans and the amounts keep climbing. Even though they were manageable. Today, they're not necessarily manageable amounts.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted