1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

helping people to help people? For suckers.

The way you know you’re helping people is when it hurts someone I don’t like.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I’m not that worried about the issues distributing the vaccine. Is it ideal? No.

But most people don’t live in remote areas, and the people who need the vaccine the most are in nursing homes and hospitals so they’ll be among the easiest.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not that an @Azrael v. @Alma cage match isn't a heartwarming way to open Advent, but at present South Dakota's deaths per 100K is 60% of New York's (this with a per-100K infection total that is 2.8X that of the Empire State). While it may be the case that South Dakota et al. simply haven't had a chance to catch up, it seems reasonable to think they've learned at least something (like, for example, don't force nursing homes to take in infectious people).

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Treatment has improved, certainly. But taking population density into account, neither Up Dakota nor Down Dakota is doing very well.

And the nursing home thing remains widespread and heartbreaking.

COVID-19 has claimed the lives of 147 long-term care facility residents in South Dakota | The Globe

'All those funerals': North Dakota nursing homes can't escape COVID-19 devastation | Grand Forks Herald

COVID-19 outbreaks in East TN nursing homes killed at least 19 more people in past week | wbir.com

https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article247154826.html

etc

Lots of lip service paid to "protecting the most vulnerable" - and invoking New York - but we haven't managed to do it.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Helping people to help people...the loan companies aren’t going to just go without the money, you know.Someone’s paying for it. We will. The taxpayers.

7. doctorquant

I never said they were. But even though they both have a much larger case rate, their death rate is still much lower than New York's.

To be sure, their death rate may ultimately dwarf New York's. But it doesn't seem, from where I sit, that they didn't learn a fucking thing from Cuomo et al.

RickStain likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know. North Dakota didn't issue a mask order until November 14.

South Dakota still doesn't have one.

By comparison:

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It might have a lot more to do with the fact that the doctors have learned a helluva lot about how to treat Covid-19 since NY's deaths were spiking, but don't let that get in the way.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  12. doctorquant

Indeed it might.
    Your anger seems ... at odds with the tone of the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted